For Immediate Release · email@example.com
Fredericksburg, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team gave No. 18 University of Rochester a run for its money Sunday afternoon. St. Mary's kept Rochester off the scoreboard in the second half to force an extra period but succumbed to a 2-1 overtime setback on the final day of the University of Mary Washington Tournament.
No. 18 Rochester 2, St. Mary's (Md.) 1 (OT)
How It Happened
- Senior forward Callie Fisher (Wynnewood, Pa./Country Day School) proved to be the hero for Rochester this afternoon as Fisher finished off a pass from senior midfielder Sayaka Abe (Putnam Valley, N.Y./Putnam Valley) for the game-winning goal just 1:24 into the extra frame.
- The Yellowjackets struck first four minutes into the game when junior Samantha Dow (Yorktown, Va./York) connected with Fisher for the first score of the contest.
- Sophomore midfielder Mollie Belson (Columbia, Md./Atholton) put St. Mary's on the board at 18:05 as fellow classmate Sydney Cline (Frederick, Md./Linganore) assisted on the play.
- Rochester dominated the second half with a 7-0 penalty corner margin and a 5-2 shot edge but junior goalkeeper Alyssa Thompson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) and the rest of the Seahawks team came up with a strong defensive stance to force OT.
For the Seahawks (0-2)
- Scorers: Belson (1 goal); Cline (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Thompson (3 saves, 2 goals allowed, 71:24).
- St. Mary's finished the game with five shots and five penalty corners.
For No. 18 Rochester (3-0)
- Scorers: Fisher (1 goal, 1 assist); Dow (1 goal); Abe (1 assist).
- Goalkeepers: Gabrielle Cantley (2 saves, 1 goal allowed, 35:00); Kiran Sundaram (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 35:00).
- Rochester tallied 10 shots and 10 corners for the game.
- Today's matchup was the first-ever meeting between St. Mary's and Rochester.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 9/7 at Randolph-Macon College - 4:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's owns a 9-4 record all-time against Randolph-Macon. However, R-MC snapped a six-game skid against the Seahawks last season with a 3-2 win following two overtime periods and a shootout.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks