For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey celebrated their four seniors Saturday afternoon before facing No. 2 Salisbury University in Capital Athletic Conference action. St. Mary's dropped a 4-0 decision to the Sea Gulls.
Senior captains Kevyn Jorgenson (Glenwood, Md./Glenelg Country School), Alli Szymanski (Easton, Md./Easton), and Brady Wolf (Reisterstown, Md./McDonogh) plus forward Carly Todd (Crisfield, Md./Crisfield) were honored for their four years of dedication to the Seahawk field hockey program prior to the start of today's action.
No. 2 Salisbury 4, St. Mary's (Md.) 0
How It Happened
- The score is not reflective of the heart and toughness displayed by St. Mary's against the second-ranked team in Division III.
- St. Mary's contained the nation's sixth-best offense to just one goal on eight shots and five penalty corners in the first half.
- Salisbury's lone goal came early in the first half off the stick of senior midfielder Hannah Miller (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) as Miller ripped a shot into the lower left center of the cage on a right diagonal at 8:11.
- The Sea Gulls continued to push through in the second stanza and tacked on three more scores.
- First-year Rachel Domanico (North Granby, Conn./Granby Memorial) picked up her first of the day at 47:17 as Domanico put back the rebound from junior Alyssa Thompson's (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) initial save.
- Domanico then assisted on SU's third of the day at 53:20, inserting the ball up to senior defender Annah Brittingham (Pocomoke City, Md./Pocomoke) who fired a shot just inside the near post.
- Brittingham and Domanico switched places for the final tally of the day at 68:44 when Domanico deflected Brittingham's shot at the far post.
For the Seahawks (4-11, 2-4 CAC)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Thompson (6 saves, 4 goals allowed, 70:00).
- St. Mary's finished the game with three shots (one on goal) and four penalty corners.
For Salisbury (13-1, 5-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Domanico (2 goals, 1 assist); Brittingham (1 goal, 1 assist); Miller (1 goal).
- Goalkeeper: Junior Tressie Windsor (Delmar, Md./Delmar) (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 70:00).
- Salisbury put up 18 shots (10 on goal) and collected 10 corners.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 10/27 vs. Virginia Wesleyan College (7-7) – 3:00 p.m. (non-conference contest)
- St. Mary's has won nine straight against VWC and holds a 10-5 all-time record.
- Next Thursday's contest with Virginia Wesleyan will wrap up the regular season for the Seahawks.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh