For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Baltimore, Md. – Juniors Courtney Mellon (Mount Airy, Md./Urbana) and Sophia Macek (Laurel, Md./Reservoir) both found the back of the cage for the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team Sunday but the Seahawks dropped their third straight, falling 4-2 to No. 14 University of Rochester (N.Y.).
St. Mary's (Md.) 2, No. 14 Rochester 4
How It Happened
- It was only a 1-0 game at halftime despite Rochester outshooting the Seahawks, 12-0, as senior captain Alyssa Thompson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) and the defensive line came up with five saves.
- The lone goal of the first half came off the stick of Claire Dickerson at 7:29.
- Dickerson scored again as Rochester notched back-to-back goals for a 3-0 lead at 47:18.
- Mellon finally put St. Mary's on the scoreboard with an unassisted tally at 62:30 to cut UR's lead to 3-1.
- The Yellowjackets regained a three-goal lead 1:18 later as Dickerson completed her hat trick with her sixth goal of the season off a pass from Nancy Bansbach.
- St. Mary's cut the lead in half at 66:25 when Macek connected with junior forward Sydney Cline (Frederick, Md./Linganore).
For the Seahawks (1-3)
- Scorers: Mellon (1 goal); Macek (1 goal); Cline (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Thompson (4 saves, 4 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Defenders Sophie Michel (Westminster, Md./Westminster) and Janine Benner (Baltimore, Md./Sparrows Point) each picked up a defensive save.
- St. Mary's finished with five shots (three on goal) and earned a pair of penalty corners.
For Rochester (3-1)
- Scorers: Dickerson (3 goals); Olivia Denny (1 goal, 1 assist); Jennifer Lee (1 assist); Colleen Maillie (1 assist); Bansbach (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Gabrielle Cantley (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 35:00); Kate Kujawa (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 35:00)
- The Yellowjackets fired in 19 shots (10 on goal) and collected 14 corners.
- Rochester is now 2-0 all-time against the Seahawks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 13 at Wilson (2-1) – Chambersburg, Pa. – 5:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's is 1-3 against Wilson and have not played the Phoenix since 1999.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks