For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Salisbury, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team wrapped up the regular season with a 2-0 road loss to No. 7 Salisbury University Wednesday night.
There are two more games remaining in the Capital Athletic Conference season – No. 17 York College of Pennsylvania at Frostburg State University and the University of Mary Washington at Wesley College. Tomorrow's results will determine the Seahawks' spot in the 2017 CAC Field Hockey Championship Tournament which begins Sunday, October 29 with first-round action.
Stay tuned to www.smcmathletics.com for the latest about the CAC Tournament.
St. Mary's 0, No. 7 Salisbury 2
How It Happened
- Salisbury used a goal in each half to notch its fifth consecutive win and ninth shutout of the season.
- The Sea Gulls' first goal occurred at 10:46 when Rebecca Lloyd connected on a penalty stroke.
- The 1-0 SU lead carried over into the second half and held until Jenna Partilla tallied an unassisted goal at 42:59.
- Senior captain Alyssa Thompson (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) turned away five shots and senior defender Sophie Michel (Westminster, Md./Westminster) added her team-best eighth defensive save in holding Salisbury to only two goals.
For the Seahawks (8-10, 2-4 CAC)
- Scorer: None
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (8 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Defensive Save: Michel (1)
- St. Mary's was held to only one shot and one penalty corner in the second half.
For No. 7 Salisbury (11-3, 5-1 CAC)
- Scorers: Lloyd (1 goal); Partilla (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Tressie Windsor (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Sea Gulls connected on 15 shots (11 on goal) and earned eight corners.
- St. Mary's is still searching for its first-ever win over Salisbury as SU improves to 28-0 all-time.
Up Next for the Seahawks
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks