Nov 27, 2016
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. –
- Score: St. Mary's 91, Greensboro 84
- Records: St. Mary's (4-1), Greensboro (1-2)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Junior captain Delaszo Smith (Baltimore, Md./Annapolis) poured in a season-best 26 points as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team picked up a 91-84 non-conference win over Greensboro College Sunday afternoon. This is St. Mary's second 90-point game of the season.
How It Happened
- Four St. Mary's starters scored in double figures while the Pride had five players scoring in double digits.
- The Seahawks opened up a 14-point advantage five minutes as junior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) and Smith (5) combined for 12 points in the game's 18-4 opening run.
- First-year guard Darus Maddox (Lusby, Md./Patuxent) sparked a 19-7 run and finished with five points in the run as Greensboro cut the deficit to two at 8:21 on a senior forward Lorenzo Marry (Largo, Fla./Largo) layup.
- The Pride would get no closer in the first half as St. Mary's went on to close out the half with a high-powered 24-10 run behind back-to-back triples from first-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) to cap the run.
- Smith and Bynum paced the Seahawks at intermission with 12 and 11 points, respectively, as the team owned a 49-33 lead after 20 minutes of play. St. Mary's shot 50.0-percent (17-of-34) from the floor, including four three-pointers, and converted all 11 attempts at the free throw line.
- St. Mary's stretched its halftime lead to 20 in the opening minutes of the second half as first-year forward Darick Kerns (Cumberland, Md./Allegany) had four points.
- The Pride responded in a hurry as Greensboro pulled within six at 8:00, using a 22-8 push over a span of 8:28 minutes. During the run, the Seahawks were 1-of-12 from the field and committed four turnovers but went 6-of-8 from the charity stripe.
- St. Mary's regained a double-digit lead before a pair of Pride three-pointers made it a seven-point final.
Inside the Box Score
- Smith finished 7-of-18 from the field with two triples and was nearly perfect at the line, posting a 10-of-11 effort. He also grabbed seven rebounds, three steals, and two assists.
- Bynum ended the afternoon with 14 points, two boards, and two steals while junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) contributed his second double-double of the season with 13 points and a team-best 10 caroms.
- The final Seahawks in double digits was first-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point). Mouton chipped in a dozen points, seven rebounds, three assists, and three steals.
- St. Mary's controlled the boards with a 55-41 rebounding margin while Greensboro outscored the Seahawks in the paint, 48-38, and received 46 points from its bench.
- St. Mary's opens up Capital Athletic Conference action on Wednesday, November 30 as the Seahawks travel to the Eastern Shore to face Salisbury University (4-0), who received votes in the D3hoops.com Top 25 preseason poll.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb