Jan 11, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 60, No. 4 Christopher Newport 68
- Records: St. Mary's (7-7, 2-5 CAC), No. 4 Christopher Newport (12-2, 6-1 CAC)
- Location: Newport News, Va. · Freeman Center
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team had No. 4 Christopher Newport University against ropes Wednesday night but succumbed to a 68-60 setback in Capital Athletic Conference action. Junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) led a trio of starters who scored in double digits as Sanders tallied a team-best 13 points.
How It Happened
- The game featured five lead changes and four tied scores. St. Mary's controlled the first half while the host Captains rallied in the last 20 minutes for their sixth straight victory.
- St. Mary's shot 50-percent from the field, including 4-of-5 from downtown, to boast a 34-29 advantage at halftime.
- The Seahawks were not in the lead for only 15 seconds in the first 20 minutes and used a 28-14 run to stake their biggest lead of the game – a 12-point advantage with 4:51 left in the half on a triple by first-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson).
- Ayoub led all scorers with nine points on 3-of-4 shooting from behind the three-point arc while St. Mary's owned a 19-11 rebounding margin.
- The two sides traded leads and baskets in the opening minutes of the second half and after sophomore guard Danny Canary (Silver Spring, Md./Montgomery Blair) tied the game for the fourth and final time at 40-all, CNU put together a 10-3 run to lead by seven at 9:00.
- St. Mary's trimmed the lead to 58-56 with 2:26 left on a pair of free throws by first-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point) but a pair of three-point plays by the Captains and a 5-of-8 effort at the line sealed the win for Christopher Newport.
Inside the Box Score
- Sanders notched his 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting and 3-of-3 at the charity stripe while adding six rebounds.
- Ayoub finished with a dozen points on 3-of-4 shooting from downtown and contributed three boards while Mouton chipped in 10 points, four caroms, and a season-best three assists.
- Junior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) came off the bench to lend a season-high eight rebounds, eight points, and two steals.
- St. Mary's will be back in action this Saturday, January 14 when the Seahawks host Southern Virginia University (3-11, 1-6 CAC) on Youth Appreciation Day. The men tip off at 4:00 p.m. as they wrap up the CAC doubleheader after the women kick off the day at 2:00 p.m. FREE hoops clinic after the men's game.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb