Jan 14, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 75, Southern Virginia 59
- Records: St. Mary's (8-7, 3-5 CAC), Southern Virginia (3-12, 1-7 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Three starters scored in double figures as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team snapped their four-game slide Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's collected a 75-59 Capital Athletic Conference victory over Southern Virginia University behind solid ball control.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's turned the ball over only a season-low nine times in ending its longest skid of the season.
- The Knights gained control of the game early on and established their biggest lead of the game by a 16-8 margin following a 12-1 run.
- Southern Virginia maintained the lead until the 3:14-minute mark when junior captain Delaszo Smith (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) capped off a 16-6 Seahawk run. St. Mary's then closed out the half on a 7-0 run to stake a 33-24 halftime lead.
- First-year guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) led all scorers at intermission with 12 points behind a pair of three-pointers and 5-of-6 shooting. In addition, the Seahawks tallied 10 points off of 11 Southern Virginia miscues and boasted a 22-18 rebounding margin.
- St. Mary's flew past the Knights in the second half as the Seahawks broke open the game with a 29-11 run to start the final 20 minutes and led by 27 halfway through the half.
- The Seahawks were able to capitalize on Southern Virginia's mistakes once again, this time recording 17 points off of 13 turnovers.
Inside the Box Score
- Ayoub finished the afternoon with a game- and season-best 19 points on 6-of-9 shooting, including a trio of triples, while grabbing a season-high four rebounds as well. This is Ayoub's seventh consecutive game scoring in double digits.
- Smith put up 17 points behind 7-of-12 shooting while adding four boards and three steals.
- First-year guard Tre Mouton (Waldorf, Md./North Point) contributed 11 points and a team-best six caroms plus two steals.
- Junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) dished a season-best four assists while first-year forward Darick Kerns (Cumberland, Md./Allegany) chipped in season-highs of three blocks and three steals.
- St. Mary's hopes to make it two in a row on Wednesday, January 18 when the Seahawks host York College of Pennsylvania (10-5, 5-3 CAC) in the Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena. The men tip off at 8:00 p.m. after the women's 6 o'clock game to wrap up the CAC doubleheader with York.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb