Jan 18, 2017
For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 84, York 88
- Records: St. Mary's (8-8, 3-6 CAC), York (11-5, 6-3 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. · Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team fought hard Wednesday night but could not turn the tide in their favor in a tight 88-84 Capital Athletic Conference loss to York College of Pennsylvania. Four Seahawks put up double-digit scoring while the team connected on a season-best 12 three-pointers.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's and the Spartans combined for 24 triples in the contest as each side hit 12. The Seahawks finished shooting 44.4-percent from downtown while York posted a .400 clip.
- The Seahawks rallied in the second half, shooting 64.3-percent from behind the three-point line to erase a 42-30 halftime deficit.
- After junior guard Matt Scamuffo (Chalfont, Pa./Central Bucks South) extended York's lead to 13 at the 18:59-minute mark, St. Mary's went on a 31-19 run in just over seven minutes to pull within one at 7:50 on a bucket by junior wing Lavonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise).
- York pushed its advantage back to seven but the Seahawks kept working and responded with key three-point plays from guards Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) and Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) to stay on the Spartans' heels.
- Bynum made all three of his free throws to make it an 84-82 game with 1:29 left. Both offenses stalled for the next 1:13-minute span before sophomore guard Jason Bady (West Chester, Pa./West Chester Henderson) knocked down a pair of free throws for a four-point York lead.
- A basket by junior captain Delaszo Smith (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) made it a two-point game once again with six ticks on the clock before two free throws by senior guard Brad Wesner (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Trinity).
Inside the Box Score
- In Ayoub's eighth straight game scoring in double digits, he finished with a season-best 20 points on 7-of-15 shooting, including a season-high six three-pointers, while hauling in a season-high four rebounds and dishing a season-best three assists.
- Smith put up 17 points for the second game in a row while Sanders added 14 points on a season-best seven made field goals and collected a season-high three steals.
- Bynum came off the bench to contribute 14 points as well with a pair of triples and a 4-of-5 effort at the line.
- St. Mary's will look to get back on track this Saturday, January 21 when the Seahawks travel to Penn State Harrisburg (6-10, 3-6 CAC) for league action at 3:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb