For Immediate Release · Wednesday, November 15, 2017 · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 80, Gallaudet 75
- Records: St. Mary's (1-0), Gallaudet (0-1)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Ed Cole Court at the Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena
- The Short Story: Four Seahawks scored in double digits to lead the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team to an 80-75 season-opening win over Gallaudet University Wednesday night. Sophomore forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) picked up a double-double in his Seahawk debut.
What It Means
- Tonight's victory marks the fifth consecutive time St. Mary's has won its season-opener. The last season-opening loss was a 65-52 setback to The Catholic University of America on November 17, 2012.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 17 at Shenandoah University (0-1) – Winchester, Va. – 6:00 p.m.
- Nov. 19 vs. Lynchburg College (0-0) – Ed Cole Court at Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – 4:00 p.m.
How It Happened
- A sluggish start did not impede the Seahawks from posting a 38-24 halftime advantage.
- The first six minutes of the game showcased a combined nine points with Gallaudet holding the one-point lead.
- The Seahawks broke the game open with a 15-0 run as Schultz and senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) combined for 11 points.
- Bynum led all scorers at the break with 11 points while Noah Valencia paced the Bison with 10. In addition, St. Mary's shot almost 52% from the field.
- The Seahawks continued to build upon their lead and owned a 20-point advantage on a layup by first-year forward Marquis Bullett (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) with 8:07 remaining.
- Gallaudet then diligently worked to chip at the deficit, getting it to single digits for the first time since the 4:31 mark of the first half.
- The Bison were able to pull within five with seven seconds left before St. Mary's went 3-of-4 at the free throw line in the waning seconds to seal the deal.
Inside the Box Score
- Schultz put up 15 points on 6-of-9 shooting plus 10 rebounds in his first game as a Seahawk since transferring in from the U. S. Military Academy (West Point).
- First-year forward Kevin Makle (Finksburg, Md./Randallstown) had a solid debut as well with 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting to go along with his five boards, two assists, and two steals.
- Bynum finished with 14 as well and added two assists while senior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) contributed 13 points, seven caroms, and two blocks.
- Valencia led all scorers on the night with 20 while Preston Kelly tallied 19 and Andy Cruz chipped in 16. Lance Wood collected 10 rebounds and six points off the bench.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks