For Immediate Release · Wednesday, November 29, 2017 · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 73, Mary Washington 89
- Records: St. Mary's (1-4, 0-1 CAC), Mary Washington (5-1, 1-0 CAC)
- Location: Fredericksburg, Va. – William M. Anderson Center
- The Short Story: The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team opened up Capital Athletic Conference action Wednesday night at the University of Mary Washington. Despite having four players reach double figures, the Seahawks succumbed to an 89-73 setback for their fourth straight loss.
How It Happened
- Mary Washington jumped out to a 10-4 lead in the first three minutes of the game as A.J. Robinson (6 points on 2 three-pointers) and Eric Shaw combined for the Eagles' first 10 points.
- The Seahawks responded well, tying the game three times over an eight-minute span before using a 9-2 run to establish their biggest lead of seven points (32-25) at 5:13.
- UMW would steal back the lead with a 12-2 run of its own to lead by three with 1:52 left in the half.
- Sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) sent the hosts into intermission with a 37-36 edge with his layup with 33 ticks on the clock.
- Back-to-back triples by Ayoub sparked a 10-4 Seahawk run which was punctuated by a dunk from sophomore forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) and gave St. Mary's a 46-41 advantage at 17:24 of the second half.
- Senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) wrapped up the Seahawks' final lead of the game at 14:52 with a pair of free throws.
- It was all Mary Washington after that as the Eagles made it rain with nine three-pointers over the final 15 minutes of the game.
- St. Mary's also committed 11 turnovers during that time which resulted in 20 points for the hosts.
Inside the Box Score
- The Seahawks continued to have a strong presence inside, outscoring UMW, 44-26, in the paint and won the rebounding battle, edging the Eagles, 34-30.
- Ayoub finished the night as the team's leading scorer with a season-best 18 points while adding two rebounds.
- Schultz and first-year forward Marquis Bullett (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) each contributed 13 points. Schultz also notched eight boards, season-bests of three assists and two blocks plus two steals while Bullett chipped in six caroms.
- Senior wing LaVonte' Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) tallied season-highs of 12 points and two blocks to go along with two rebounds.
- First-year forward Kevin Makle (Finksburg, Md./Randallstown) paced the team with a season-best nine boards while adding eight points and a season-high two assists.
- Mary Washington also had four players reach double figures as Drew Johnson led all players with 32 points, draining 10 of the team's 17 three-pointers. Johnny Cronin hauled in a game-best 13 caroms while chipping in seven points and two steals.
- The Eagles shot 47.2-percent from downtown, including 70.6-percent in the second half.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 2 vs. Marymount (Va.) University (2-3, 1-0 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena – CAC game – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks