For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 111, Olivet 117
- Records: St. Mary's (2-7), Olivet (3-4)
- Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. – Broward County Convention Center
- The Short Story: Luck ran out for the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team Saturday evening despite having six players reach the double-digit plateau. The Seahawks dropped a heartbreaking 117-111 triple overtime decision to the Olivet College Comets at Trip Sports Cruzin' Classic in Florida.
How It Happened
- Senior wing Chris Craft, Jr. (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) made both free throws with 20 seconds left in the second overtime period and Tracy Edmonds' last-second was off the mark to send the game into a third extra frame.
- After two free throws by sophomore forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) gave St. Mary's a three-point lead at 3:26 in the third OT period, the Comets closed out the game on a 16-7 run to snap their two-game skid.
- The Seahawks found themselves down nine at 8:26 in the second half after Edmonds knocked down a three-pointer.
- Six straight points by sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) handed St. Mary's a 64-63 lead at 5:21 before a Craft three-point play put the team ahead by two at 3:41.
- Olivet owned a 73-70 advantage with seven ticks on the clock before senior guard Ochae Bynum's (Waldorf, Md./North Point) first three-pointer of the game with two seconds to go pushed the game into overtime.
- In the first extra frame, OC held an 89-84 lead with 20 second remaining but Bynum went 4-of-5 at the line and then Schultz's last-second steal and layup kept the game going into double OT.
- Jalen Adams put up 24 points in the first half on 10-of-16 shooting to buoy a 39-33 Olivet halftime lead.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's hadn't scored over 100 points since winning 113-88 at Stevenson University on December 4, 2010.
- Bynum paced the Seahawks in the contest with a season-best 25 points as he made a career-high nine free throws while adding five assists, three rebounds, and a season-best three steals.
- Ayoub finished with a career-best 21 points on 6-of-10 shooting, including three triples, while Schultz contributed 20 points for his second straight 20-point game and fourth of the season.
- Craft chipped in 12 points as he made a career-best six free throws. He also collected a season- and team-best eight boards and a career-high six steals.
- Adams and Edmonds both tallied 38 points to lead the Comets to the win in Florida. In addition, Adams hauled in a game-best 15 caroms while Edmonds had a near triple-double with eight rebounds and eight assists.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 17 vs. Husson University (6-1) – Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. – Cruzin' Classic – 8:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks