For Immediate Release · Wednesday, January 3, 2018 · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 61, Southern Virginia 78
- Records: St. Mary's (2-10, 1-4 CAC), Southern Virginia (7-5, 2-3 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena
- The Short Story: Junior guard Danny Canary (Silver Spring, Md./Montgomery Blair) and sophomore forward Quentin Twyman (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) registered career efforts Wednesday night as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team dropped a 78-61 Capital Athletic Conference decision to Southern Virginia University.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's shot 4-of-10 from downtown in the first half to keep pace with the Knights, building its largest lead of 20-15 at 8:01 on a fast-break layup by sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson).
- Southern Virginia outscored the Seahawks, 21-10, over the final eight minutes of the half to claim a 36-30 advantage at the break.
- Tyler McCreadie came off the bench to lead the Knights and all scorers with 13 points while Twyman put up 11 in the first 20 minutes as he went 3-for-5 from three-point range.
- SVU extended its lead into double digits in the second half with a 13-6 run to start the half and never looked back, leading by as many as 19 with 8:01 left in the game.
Inside the Box Score
- The Seahawks knocked down seven three-pointers tonight, their second-best single-game total of the season.
- Canary put up career-bests of 16 points, six field goals (6-for-12, 50%), and two steals plus two rebounds while Twyman finished with career-highs of 14 points, five field goals (5-for-11, 45.5%), and four three-pointers (4-for-7, 57.1%).
- Sophomore forward Darick Kerns (Cumberland, Md./Allegany) paced St. Mary's on the glass with seven rebounds while chipping in two points and a career-best two assists.
- Justin Prisbrey paced the Knights with 16 points to share game-best honors with Canary while Aarun Rumbaugh tallied 14 and Cale Thornton grabbed a game-high nine boards.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 6 vs. Wesley College (5-7, 1-4 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – Capital Athletic Conference game – Youth Appreciation Day – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks