For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Sophomore guard Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) was the only Seahawk to reach the double-digit plateau Wednesday night as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team dropped a 69-46 Capital Athletic Conference decision to Salisbury University. The win gives SU the season sweep of the Seahawks as Salisbury earned a 73-50 win at home on January 10.
- Score: St. Mary's 46, Salisbury 69
- Records: St. Mary's (3-19, 2-13 CAC), Salisbury (15-7, 11-4 CAC)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena
How It Happened
- It was a slow start for both sides as the teams combined for 10 points in the first nine minutes. Four different Seahawks scored as the home squad posted a six-point advantage before Salisbury outscored St. Mary's, 25-12, the rest of the half for a 27-20 lead at the break.
- The Sea Gulls created 12 first-half turnovers, which led to 11 points going the other way, while Blair Davis, Gary Briddell, and Mike Ward paced the team with five points each. Senior wing LaVonte Sanders (Upper Marlboro, Md./Wise) gave St. Mary's a 20-14 edge in the first half with seven rebounds.
- A 42-point second half by Salisbury proved too much for the Seahawks to handle as once again turnovers disrupted the team's offensive rhythm. The Sea Gulls gained 17 points off of 15 miscues by St. Mary's, who finished the game with a season-high 27 turnovers.
Inside the Box Score
- Rouse finished the night with 10 points behind a career-high five field goals for the third time in his career while adding two assists, three rebounds, and a career-best three steals.
- Sanders came up with a game- and season-best nine boards to give the Seahawks a 35-28 rebounding margin for the game while senior guard Ochae Bynum (Waldorf, Md./North Point) chipped in nine points.
- After being held scoreless in the first half, Chad Barcikowski picked up a game-best 15 in the second half to lead the Sea Gulls while Mike Ward contributed 10 to lead a 34-point production by the SU bench.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 10 at Southern Virginia University (9-13, 4-11 CAC) – Buena Vista, Va. – CAC game – 3:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks