For Immediate Release · Wednesday, February 14, 2018 · firstname.lastname@example.org
York, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team had three players reach the double-digit plateau Wednesday night but their comeback came up short in an 81-78 loss to No. 8 York College of Pennsylvania. The win gave nationally-ranked York the season sweep of the Seahawks in Capital Athletic Conference action. It is the 10th time this season St. Mary's has had a game decided but 10 or fewer points. The Seahawks are now 2-4 in games decided by five or less points.
- Score: St. Mary's 78, York 81
- Records: St. Mary's (3-21, 2-15 CAC), No. 8 York (21-3, 14-3 CAC)
- Location: York, Pa. – Grumbacher Center
How It Happened
- York held a comfortable 37-23 halftime lead behind Dalton Myers' performance as Myers led all players at the break with 16 points on 6-of-9 shooting, including four of the team's five first-half three-pointers. The Spartans shot 51.9% (14-27) to St. Mary's 29.4% (10-34).
- Each side scored 14 points in the first eight minutes of the second half and YCP was on top by a 51-37 margin following a Myers layup at 12:02. However, the Seahawks would claw their way back into contention over the final 12 minutes of the game, outscoring York, 41-30, the rest of the way.
- St. Mary's pulled within three on four different occasions in the final 29 seconds of the contest. The first time was a triple by sophomore guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) assisted by senior guard Donovan Robinson (Cheverly, Md./North Point) at 00:29. The second time was an Ayoub layup with 17 ticks on the clock followed by another Ayoub layup assisted by Robinson 10 seconds later. The last time came at the buzzer on a Robinson two-point bucket.
- St. Mary's shot an impressive 55.0% (22-40) from the field for the second half with four three-pointers and a 7-of-9 effort at the free throw line. Defensively, the Seahawks forced York into 11 turnovers with eight steals which led to 18 points going the other way. But the Spartans went 6-of-6 at the line over the final 27 seconds to stay just ahead of St. Mary's and pick up the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Ayoub put up 15 second-half points to finish with a team-best 17 points on 6-of-14 shooting with three buckets from downtown. Sophomore forward Quentin Twyman (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) tallied a career-best 17 points, including 13 over the final 20 minutes, on 8-of-14 shooting with career-highs of eight field goals and two steals.
- Ten of Robinson's 12 points came in the second half as he finished 5-of-9 from the field and added a career-best seven assists and two rebounds. Sophomore forward Jamal Murphy (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) contributed 10 boards and seven points, helping the team win the rebounding matchup, 37-33.
- Myers came away with a 34-point performance for York while Blayde Reich recorded a double-double on a game-best 11 caroms and 10 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 17 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (7-17, 3-14 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – Senior Day – CAC game – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks