For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Junior guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Md./W.T. Woodson) dropped a career- and game-leading 29 points as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team played in front of Seahawk Nation for the first time in the 2018-19 campaign. St. Mary's (0-3) remains searching for its first win of the season after Shenandoah University (1-1) nipped the Seahawks, 80-79.
St. Mary's 79, Shenandoah 80
How It Happened
- Jalyn Jarrett put down the go-ahead layup for Shenandoah with four seconds left in the contest. SU fouled junior wing Phil Newsome (Mitchellville, Md./Potomac) fouled in transition and Newsome made the second of two free throws to pull the Seahawks within one with three ticks on the clock. St. Mary's stopped the clock at 1.1 seconds with a foul of Tramell Anthony, who missed both, but time expired before the hosts could get a shot off.
- St. Mary's started the second half with a 40-33 advantage and stretched it to a nine-point margin before the Hornets responded with an 18-7 run, capped by an Avery White three-pointer, to claim their first lead since 30-29 at 4:38 of the first half. Junior forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) slammed home a dunk at 7:18 to cap off a 10-0 run as St. Mary's regained the lead for the first time since being up 49-48 four minutes into the second half, erasing a 63-54 deficit.
- The two sides continue to trade leads until Jarrett's eventual game-winning bucket.
- Shenandoah opened up with an early 4-0 lead and maintained no more than a six-point advantage in the first half before back-to-back Ayoub triples sparked a 14-3 run to close out the half on top, 40-33.
Inside the Box Score
- Seventeen of Ayoub's 29 points came in the first half on 5-of-6 shooting from downtown. He finished the night going 10-of-13 from the floor, with six three-pointers, to go along with his career-best four assists and season-high three rebounds.
- Schultz went 9-of-15 from the field as he recorded his third career double-double with 20 points and 10 boards in addition to career-bests of four assists and three blocks.
- Shenandoah had five players score in double digits as the Hornets picked up their first win of the season. Christopher Chaney led the way with a double-double off the bench on 19 points and game-best 14 caroms.
- St. Mary's dished out a season-best 20 assists on 30 made field goals as the Seahawks matched their season-high of 46.2-percent shooting from the field, including 41.7-percent from downtown.
- The Hornets dominated the glass with a 46-37 margin while shooting 45.8-percent for the game.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 17 at Gallaudet (0-2) – Washington, D.C. – Battle of D.C. & Maryland Tournament – 4:00 p.m.
- Nov. 18 – Battle of D.C. & Maryland Tournament Consolation/Championship – 1:00/3:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks