For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Washington, D.C. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team opened up action at the Battle of D.C. & Maryland Tournament on Saturday evening. St. Mary's (1-3) advanced to the tournament championship game with a 73-55 victory over the host school, Gallaudet University (0-3), as junior guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Md./W.T. Woodson) scored 20-plus points for the second straight game.
St. Mary's 73, Gallaudet 55
How It Happened
- It was a tight battle throughout the first half until St. Mary's broke open the game in the final three minutes of the half. Dylan Sicoli's three-pointer pulled the Bison within two at 3:21 before junior wing Phil Newsome (Mitchellville, Md./Potomac) bookended a 12-5 run with a layup and a dunk as the Seahawks went into the locker room with a 35-26 halftime advantage.
- Gallaudet closed the gap to 35-32 at the start of the second half behind three different scorers before an Ayoub triple sparked a 21-5 run over the next eight minutes as St. Mary's established a double-digit advantage for the rest of the game. The Seahawks widened the lead to 22 (70-48), their largest of the game, at 2:53 on a pair of foul shots by first-year wing Justin Wynn (Owings, Md./Western Tech).
- The Bison finished the game on a 7-3 spurt for the 73-55 final.
Inside the Box Score
- Ayoub recorded his sixth 20-point game of his career as he went 8-of-18 from the field with six three-pointers, matching his season-best of triples drained for the second time this year. He also added season-highs of three rebounds and two steals plus two assists.
- Junior wing Jordan Alston (Waldorf, Md./La Plata) contributed 10 points to go along with season-bests of six boards, three steals, and two assists.
- Newsome helped St. Mary's win the battle on the boards with a 51-42 margin as he hauled in a career-best 15 caroms while collecting season-bests of eight points and three steals.
- Corey Smith was the only Bison in double digits as Smith tallied 16 points on 6-of-10 shooting with two triples. He also picked up five rebounds.
- The Seahawks drained 10 three-pointers for the third game in a row while pulling down a season-best 51 boards. St. Mary's finished shooting 34.8-percent for the game and only committed 13 turnovers.
- Gallaudet shot 33.9-percent from the field, including a dismal 20.0-percent from downtown.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 18 vs. Hood (3-1) – Washington, D.C. (Gallaudet University) – Battle of D.C. & Maryland Tournament Championship – 3:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks