For Immediate Release · Saturday, March 4, 2017 · email@example.com
Lynchburg, Va. – Senior midfielder Luke Eshleman (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) scored twice but the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team was unable to notch their first win of the season Saturday evening. The Seahawks dropped an 11-6 non-conference decision at Randolph College.
St. Mary's 6, Randolph 11
How It Happened
- Randolph jumped out to a 2-0 lead at 8:59 before St. Mary's fired off three goals to claim its first and only lead of the game at 1:39. Senior captain Brendan Steele (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) tallied a goal and an assist in the Seahawks' 3-0 run. The Wildcats netted a score in the final 11 seconds to knot the contest at 3-3 heading into the second quarter.
- Senior captain Mike Becraft (Rockville, Md./Good Counsel) found the back of the net at 5:40 to tie up the game once more at 4-4. Randolph then scored twice in less than two minutes to stake a 6-4 advantage at 2:13. St. Mary's made it a one-goal game at halftime when sophomore attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) scored his fourth of the year with 1:26 left in the half.
- The Wildcat defense shutout St. Mary's in the third while senior midfielder Ryan Campbell (Lynchburg, Va./Jefferson Forest) handed Randolph a three-goal cushion with a pair of man-up goals.
- Eshleman helped the Seahawks close the gap to 8-6 with 8:23 remaining in the game but Randolph rattled off three unanswered goals to establish a five-goal advantage with 2:07 to go.
For St. Mary's (0-5)
- Eshleman's two goals today are his first scores of the season while Steele chipped in a goal and an assist.
- Sophomore midfielder Tilghman Meiser (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) won a career-best six face-offs in eight tries while contributing four ground balls.
- Sophomore midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) picked up seven face-off wins in 13 attempts while scooping up a team-best six loose balls.
- Defensemen Cristian Quiroa (Simi Valley, Calif./Thousand Oaks) and Michael Russell (Silver Spring, Md./Springbrook) each registered season-bests of two caused turnovers.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) recorded 10 stops.
- The Seahawks outshot Randolph, 41-31, won the ground ball battle, 42-33, and controlled the X, 13-of-21.
For Randolph (1-1)
- Scorers (G-A): Campbell (3-0), Shane Soghomonian (3-0), Mitch MacDonald (2-1), Graham Southwick (1-2), Scott Wilkinson (1-1), Christian Stanley (1-1), Brett Pausic (0-1), Kadri Hearns (0-1), Nick Junkin-Mills (0-1)
- Goalie: Matt Lindenbaum (16 saves, 6 GA, 60:00)
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will hope to collect its first win of the season on Wednesday, March 8 when the Seahawks travel to Ashland, Virginia, to take on Randolph-Macon College (2-3) under the lights at 7:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax