For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Dover, Del. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team found the back of the net a season-high 20 times in securing their first victory of the season Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's used a pair of seven-goal quarters to notch a 20-7 Capital Athletic Conference win over the Wesley College Wolverines.
St. Mary's 20, Wesley 7
How It Happened
- Three different Seahawks scored as St. Mary's jumped out to a 3-0 lead at 8:49. The two sides then traded the next four goals and the visitors carried a 5-2 advantage into the second quarter.
- After Wesley struck first in the second period, the Seahawks rattled off six straight, including two goals each from sophomore attackman Steve Jones (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) and first-year midfielder Erich Wuesthoff (Newbury Park, Calif./Newbury Park), to extend their lead to 11-3 at 7:46. St. Mary's would head into halftime with a 12-4 advantage.
- St. Mary's shut out the Wolverines in the third stanza and fired off seven in a row to break open the game with a commanding 19-4 lead heading into the final quarter.
- Sophomore midfielder Josh Wassum (Monkton, Md./Hereford) dropped a hat trick in the fourth to help the Wolverines outscore St. Mary's, 3-1, in the final 15 minutes.
For St. Mary's (1-8, 1-1 CAC)
- Jones paced the Seahawks in the win while four goals while sophomore attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) tallied two goals and a career-best four assists for a game-best six points.
- Sophomore midfielders Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) and Tilghman Meiser (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) combined for 24-of-30 face-off wins. Bucci won a season-best 18 face-off and scooped up a game-best nine ground balls.
- Junior midfielder David Fritz (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) contributed to the win with four ground balls and a career-best two caused turnovers.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) made five saves in 48:57 while sophomore Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) turned away two shots in the final 11 minutes.
- St. Mary's outshot the Wolverines, 56-33, and won the ground ball battle, 41-26, while scoring on three of four extra-man opportunities.
For Wesley (4-7, 0-3 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Wassum (4-0), Joe Fingles (2-0), Zach Farnell (1-0)
- Goalie: James Cella (21 saves, 20 GA, 60:00)
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will be back in action at home on Wednesday, March 29 when the Seahawks welcome No. 6 York College of Pennsylvania (10-1, 2-0 CAC) to Seahawk Stadium for a CAC matchup at 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax