For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Sophomore attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) scored twice for the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team against No. 1 Salisbury University on Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks dropped a 25-5 Capital Athletic Conference decision as Salisbury remained undefeated.
St. Mary's 5, No. 1 Salisbury 25
How It Happened
- Salisbury netted the first goal of the game at 13:45 before junior defenseman Conner Campbell (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) answered back for the Seahawks at 11:10 off a pass from junior midfielder Dave Fritz (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall).
- The Sea Gulls then rattled off 18 straight goals to boast a 19-1 advantage with 6:11 remaining in the third quarter. Sophomore attackman Steve Jones (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) stopped the bleeding less than two minutes later with his 18th goal of the season.
- After Salisbury notched the first two goals of the fourth period, the Seahawks scored three of the next four goals and Groen tallied two goals and an assist in the 3-1 run.
For St. Mary's (1-10, 1-3 CAC)
- Groen finished the game with three points on two goals and an assist while adding a career-best four ground balls.
- Jones chipped in a goal and assist while sophomore midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) won 10-of-22 face-offs with a team-best five ground balls.
- Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) came up with eight saves in 45 minutes while sophomore Ross Snodderly (Reisterstown, Md./Franklin) made five in the final 15.
For No. 1 Salisbury (12-0, 5-0 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Brendan Bromwell (5-2), Carson Kalama (4-3), Nick Garbarino (4-1), Nathan Blondino (3-4), Hunter Schaeffer (2-0), Josh Melton (1-1), Griffin Moroney (1-0), Troy Miller (1-0), Kevin McDermott (1-0), Robert Gothier (1-0), Eric Ellis (1-0), Adam Huber (1-0), Zach Pompea (0-1), Pierre Armstrong (0-1), Will Nowesnick (0-1), Aaron Leeds (0-1)
- Goalies: Colin Reymann (4 saves, 2 GA, 45:00); Brandon Warren (3 saves, 2 GA, 9:22); Hayden Donnelly (1 save, 1 GA, 5:38)
- Salisbury outshot the Seahawks, 56-22, and won the ground ball battle, 46-28 while winning 20-of-33 face-offs.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will be on the road as the Seahawks travel to Fredericksburg, Va. to take on the University of Mary Washington (5-7, 2-3 CAC) in a CAC tilt on Wednesday, April 5 at 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #CharlieMike, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax