For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Newport News, Va. – Senior captain Max Alderman (Lutherville, Md./Calvert Hall) picked up a career-best 30 stops Wednesday afternoon but the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's lacrosse team came up short in a 15-11 Capital Athletic Conference road loss to Christopher Newport.
Alderman's effort is second in school history for most saves in a game, four shy of the current mark of 34 set by John Nocher '80 in 1980 against The College of William & Mary.
St. Mary's 11, Christopher Newport 15
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport jumped out to a 5-0 lead before junior attackmen Connor Quinn (Lusby, Md./Calverton) and Dan Long (Mechanicsville, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) put the Seahawks on the board to cut the deficit to 5-2 at 1:30.
- St. Mary's closed the gap to 6-4 at 11:18 with two of the second quarter's first three goals. However, the Captains would grab an 8-4 halftime advantage with a pair of goals nine minutes apart.
- The Seahawks were fired up to start the third period, scoring three straight to pull within 8-7 at 9:38. CNU responded with two goals in 38-second span for a three-goal lead at 4:30.
- Sophomore attackman Max Groen (New Haven, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) struck for the third time just 22 seconds later to put a stop to the Captains' run. The two sides exchanged goals for the final 2:45 of the third and St. Mary's headed into the fourth down just 11-9.
- St. Mary's scored the first of the final stanza for a one-goal game at 14:21. However, Christopher Newport answered back with four unanswered goals for a 15-10 lead at 6:25. Senior captain Mike Becraft (Rockville, Md./good Counsel) notched the Seahawks' final tally at 6:01.
- The visitors generated seven scoring opportunities in the final six minutes but three were saved and another hit the post.
For St. Mary's (1-13, 1-6 CAC)
- Groen paced the Seahawks with three goals and four points while sophomore attackman Steve Jones (Cockeysville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) added three scores.
- Sophomore midfielder Michael Bucci (Davidsonville, Md./Severn) led the Seahawks with five ground balls and a season-best two assists.
- On defense, junior midfielder David Fritz (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) came up with a career-best two caused turnovers.
For Christopher Newport (10-4, 5-2 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Ryan Mills (5-1), Matthew Crist (3-6), Randy Foster (2-2), Will Geise (2-1), Shane McKenna (2-0), Jacob Hale (1-0), Jake O'Connell (0-1), Tristan Peschka (0-1)
- Goalies: Matt Hayden (14 saves, 11 GA, 55:13), Scott McAneney (2 saves, 4:47)
- CNU outshot the Seahawks, 64-44, posted a 47-23 advantage in ground balls, and dominated the X by winning 22-of-30 face-offs.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will conclude the regular season at home this Saturday, April 15, welcoming Frostburg State University (8-6, 4-3 CAC) to Seahawk Stadium. First face-off at 1:00 p.m. Before the game starts, the Seahawks will recognize their eight seniors for their dedication and leadership to the men's lacrosse program.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMLacrosse, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmlax