For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Washington, D.C. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team dropped a 2-0 decision on the road Thursday afternoon to The Catholic University of America in non-conference action.
St. Mary's 0, Catholic 2
How It Happened
- Catholic used an early goal in each half to stretch its unbeaten streak to two matches.
- Nelson Zimmerman put the Cardinals on the scoreboard in the 11th minute off an assist from Tyler Martin.
- The Seahawk defense was able to keep CUA scoreless for the remainder of the half.
- Offensively, St. Mary's generated four first-half shots but could not get them on target.
- After halftime, the Cardinals found the back of the net once again just two minutes in as Heston Priestley converted a pass from Brian Galfond.
- Half of the Seahawks' eight second-half shots were on the back but Zach Tashjy turned them all away.
For the Seahawks (3-3-0)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (4 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Seahawks recorded 12 shots and two second-half corner kicks.
For Catholic (2-2-2)
- Scorers: Zimmerman (1 goal); Priestley (1 goal); Martin (1 assist); Galfond (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Tashjy (4 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Catholic put up 12 shots as well with three corner kicks.
- The all-time series now stands at 23-17-3 in favor of Catholic, with the Cardinals owning an 8-1-1 mark in the last 10 meetings.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 16 at Randolph-Macon (5-0) – Ashland, Va. – 4:30 p.m.
- St. Mary's holds a 6-2 all-time record against R-MC, including a two-match win streak.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks