For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Juniors Josh McRobie (Crofton, Md./Arundel) and Brad Moore (Crofton, Md./South River) each tallied a goal and an assist as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team knocked off the conference's top team Wednesday afternoon. St. Mary's (10-2-3, 3-1-1 CAC) notched a 3-0 Capital Athletic Conference victory over regionally-ranked York College of Pennsylvania (9-4-2, 2-1-2 CAC) to move into a three-way for first place in the league standings.
St. Mary's 3, York 0
How It Happened
- St. Mary's, who is ranked 10th in this week's South Atlantic Regional Poll, posted an 11-8 shot advantage in the first half but the Spartans, who are ranked fifth in the same regional poll, finished with an overall 18-16 edge in shots for the game. The Seahawks had one more corner kick than York, ending up with six.
- Sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) started the scoring early as Panton rocketed a shot from just outside the left side of the box into the lower right corner for his fourth score of the season in the fifth minute.
- The 1-0 Seahawk lead would hold through halftime as Billy Bridegum made three first-half saves to keep St. Mary's at one goal while junior goalkeeper Patrick Paolini (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) came up with four to keep the Spartans off the scoreboard.
- McRobie opened up the second half with his eighth of the year just 35 seconds in to double the Seahawks' lead.
- McRobie then put a cross across the mouth of the goal and found Moore at the far post where Moore one-timed it for a three-goal cushion at 49:22.
- York ramped up its offensive effort with a 10-5 shot advantage in the second stanza, having four blocked and two saved by Paolini.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: McRobie (1 goal, 1 assist); Moore (1 goal, 1 assist); Panton (1 goal); Khalid Balogun (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Paolini (6 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Bridegum (5 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- This was only St. Mary's sixth win over the Spartans since the series began in 1979 as York holds a 30-6-2 record. Today's win snaps a two-game skid for the Seahawks against YCP.
- Today was York's first conference loss, snapping a seven-game unbeaten streak, and drops them down from first to fourth in the standings.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 20 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (14-2-2, 1-2-2 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium (CAC match) – SENIOR DAY – 3:30 p.m.
- St. Mary's owns a 5-1 lead in the series, which began in 2013 when Harrisburg joined the conference. The Seahawks are currently enjoying a three-game win streak over the Lions as Harrisburg's only win was a 1-0 double overtime in the 2014 CAC Tournament Semifinals.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks