For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swimming senior captain Matt Walchuck (Middletown, Md./Middletown) lead the Seahawks with two golds in a Capital Athletic Conference dual meet with the University of Mary Washington Eagles. Mary Washington received votes in the CSCAA TYR Top 25 poll.
St. Mary's (3-5, 1-3 CAC) – 76.50, Mary Washington (5-1, 3-0 CAC) – 182.50
How It Happened
- Walchuck would earn two first-place spots for the Seahawks. He would lead in the 200 freestyle, tallying nine points for first place with a time of 1:46.71. Walchuck would also earn top honors in the 500 freestyle, claiming the event with a time of 4:58.90. He now boasts a 10-3 record in individual events.
- First-year Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill) would also earn big points for the Seahawks, taking first place in the 100 backstroke with a time of 56.24. Orban would also pick up second place with a time of 2:02.93 in the 200 backstroke.
- Sophomore Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall) would take gold in the 50 freestyle with a time of 22.47. Cassady would also place third in the 200 freestyle, finishing with a time of 1:53.02, while leading the Seahawks in the 100 butterfly with a fifth-place finish (1:00.96).
- Junior Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Good Counsel) would earn four points for St. Mary's in the 200 breaststroke as Broder finished second with a time of 2:16.81. He would also take third in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.98) and fourth in the 400 individual medley (4:41.07).
- Senior captain Andrew Braker (Olney, Md./Sherwood) followed Orban's lead in the 100 backstroke, claiming bronze and three points with a time of 56.56.
- Senior captain Andrew Braun (Bowie, Md./DeMatha Catholic) paced the Seahawks in the 1,650 freestyle with a fourth-place finish in 18:27.53 and in the 100 freestyle with a fifth-place finish in 53.42.
- Junior Lucas Delgado (Bowie, Md./Gonzaga [D.C.]) was the Seahawk leader in the 200 butterfly as Delgado placed fourth in 2:08.67.
- The Seahawks concluded the meet by placing fourth in the 200 freestyle relay (1:32.44) behind the efforts of Braker, Orban, Cassady, and Walchuck.
Up Next for the Seahawks
The Seahawks will be on the road two weeks from now when St. Mary's travels to Salisbury University on Saturday, January 28 for the regular-season finale at 1:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #SMCMswimming, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming