For Immediate Release · By Monica Vega · firstname.lastname@example.org
Salisbury, Md. – Junior Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep) led the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team with three golds in the regular-season finale at Salisbury University on Saturday afternoon.
St. Mary's – 112, Salisbury – 148
How It Happened
- Broder would take first place in the 100-meter breaststroke with a time of 1:09.25 before claiming top honors in the 200-meter breaststroke with a time of 2:32.62.
- Broder would also earn gold in the 400-meter individual medley with a time of 5:03.15, leading a sweep of the event as senior captain Andrew Braker (Olney, Md./Sherwood) came in second (5:04.71) and first-year Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) placed third in 5:13.44.
- Akhavan would take gold in the 200-meter butterfly, leading the pack at 2:22.56 while swimming on the second-place 200-meter medley relay team (1:52.86) with first-year Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill), Broder, and sophomore Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall).
- Senior captain Matt Walchuck (Middletown, Md./Middletown) captured one of the team's five gold medals in the 100-meter freestyle with a time of 55.33 while Cassady came up second in 56.04.
- Walchuck would also collect a pair of silver medals for the Seahawks in the 200-meter freestyle (1:59.42) and the 400-meter freestyle (4:29.56) events. Senior captain Andrew Braun (Bowie, Md./DeMatha Catholic) took third after Walchuck in the 200 freestyle in 2:06.04.
- Orban would pick up a pair of second-place finishes in the 100-meter backstroke (1:02.81) and the 200-meter backstroke (2:20.50). Braker followed Orban's lead in both events with two bronze medals, posting times of 1:04.16 and 2:22.98, respectively.
- Cassady would take silver in the 50-meter freestyle, finishing the race in 25.20. He would also earn four points in the 100 meter freestyle clocking in at 56.04.
- Orban led the Seahawks in the 800-meter freestyle with a third-place finish in 9:40.17 while junior Lucas Delgado (Bowie, Md./Gonzaga College [D.C.]) paced St. Mary's in the 100 butterfly with a third-place finish in 1:03.60.
Up Next for the Seahawks
The Seahawks will be training for the next three weeks in preparation for the 2017 Capital Athletic Conference Men's and Women's Swimming Championships being hosted by St. Mary's on February 17-19.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, #SMCMswimming, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming