For Immediate Release · Saturday, February 3, 2018 · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – First-year Andrew Scott (California, Md./Leonardtown) picked up his third school record of the season as the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team competed against the Sea Gulls of Salisbury University on Saturday in a Capital Athletic Conference dual meet. The Seahawks (2-8, 1-4 CAC) suffered a 116-89 loss to Salisbury (5-5-1, 3-2 CAC) in the regular-season finale.
Prior to the meet, the team's four seniors – captains Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep) and Ben Ertman (Potomac, Md./Churchill), Lucas Delgado (Bowie, Md./Gonzaga [D.C.]), and Maxwell Madden (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) – were honored for their dedication to the swim program.
St. Mary's 89, Salisbury 116
How It Happened
- Scott took down the 1,000 freestyle record as he finished first in the event with a record-setting time of 9:45.24, shattering the old mark of 9:59.13 set by Grant Burgess '16 on January 30, 2016. He also earned first place in the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:56.00.
- Sophomore Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill), Broder, first-year Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt), and junior Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall) captured first in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:40.82.
- Orban contributed a first-place finish in the 100 backstroke by swimming a 54.58. He also chipped in a second-place finish in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:53.07.
- Broder put on a strong performance on his senior day, scoring top points in the 100 breaststroke with a first-place finish in 1:01.77. He tallied additional points in the 100 individual medley by finishing second with a time of 58.20.
- Donoghue also took first in the 100 butterfly by swimming a 55.33, edging his teammate, sophomore Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck), who finished second with a time of 55.69. Akhavan also notched a third-place finish in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:01.52.
- The foursome of Donoghue, junior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winter Mills), Scott, and Cassady posted a second-place finish in the 200 freestyle relay while Cassady added a third-place finish in the 100 freestyle with a time of 49.46, just one-hundredths of a second out of second.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 22-25 – CAC Championships – Michael P. O'Brien Aquatics Center – 10:00 a.m./6:00 p.m.* *Finals start at 5:45 p.m. on Feb. 24 and 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 25. No preliminaries on Feb. 22.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks