For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team continued their 2018-19 season on Saturday as they hosted Capital Athletic Conference foe, York College of Pennsylvania. The Seahawks (1-2, 0-1 CAC) lost 138-93 to York (3-2, 2-1 CAC) in the league opener.
St. Mary's 93, York 138
How It Happened
- Sophomore Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Roosevelt), senior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill), first-year Lucas Wheal (Austin, Texas/Westlake), and junior Jake Rosenzweig-Stein (Hyattsville, Md./Burke) came together to win the last event of the meet as they came in first in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:31.80.
- Wheal added two more first-place finishes to lead the Seahawks with three wins. He placed first in the 200 freestyle by swimming a 1:49.19 before continuing his strong start to his career with a first-place finish in the 100 freestyle as he swam a 48.81.
- Rhoads swam a 22.50 in the 50 freestyle, which was good enough for first-place overall.
- Junior Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill) claimed a first-place finish in the 100 backstroke with a time of 54.75. Orban also took second in the 200 backstroke in 2:03.42.
- Junior Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) took first in the 200 individual medley with a 2:12.05 followed by junior Andrew March (Westminster, Md./Westminster) in second in 2:16.32.
- Akhavan also posted a second-place finish in the 200 butterfly in 2:11.38 while Rosenzweig-Stein claimed a second-place finish in the 1,000 freestyle in 11:48.93 followed by junior Matthew Wilson (Bel Air, Md./Calvert Hall) in third (11:49.35).
- Orban, Akhavan, Donoghue, and Rhoads put forth a second-place finish in the 200 medley relay in 1:41.47.
- March paced St. Mary's in the breaststroke events with a third-place finish in the 100 breaststroke in 1:06.78 and fourth in the 200 breaststroke in 2:29.33.
- Wheal picked up a third-place finish in the 100 butterfly in 54.41 followed by Donoghue in fourth in 54.92.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 10 at Frostburg State (2-2, 0-2 CAC) – Frostburg, Md. (CAC meet) – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Twitter: @smcseahawks | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks