For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team (4-5, 1-1 CAC) won their first Capital Athletic Conference match of the year Saturday afternoon as the Seahawks handily beat Penn State Harrisburg (2-8, 0-1 CAC), 9-0.
Prior to the match, the team's three seniors – James Loftis (Annapolis, Md./Saint Andrews [Del.]), Connor McKissick (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown), and Kyle Van Winter (Scaggsville, Md./Good Counsel) – were recognized for their dedication to the program.
St. Mary's 9, Harrisburg 0
How It Happened
- Sophomores Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) and Ethan Garren (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) took down Pranoy Banka and Ryan McCurdy, 8-5, at No. 1 doubles.
- Van Winter and McKissick got back in the win column, beating Eric Belles and Isaac George, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles.
- Loftis and sophomore Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Henry Lackey) quickly defeated Noah Nacionales and Alexander Rohn, 8-1, in the final doubles match.
- Gorel, Stith, McKissick, Loftis, and Van Winter all captured their singles matches in straight sets with McKissick and Van Winter walking away from the weekend undefeated in singles play.
- Garren went down early in his match, 5-7, at No. 2 singles but rallied with an impressive 6-0 win in the second set and the claimed the super tiebreaker, 10-3, for the win over Banka.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 30 at Salisbury University (8-3, 1-0 CAC) – Salisbury, Md. – CAC match – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks