For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredericksburg, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team finished the fall portion of the 2017-18 season at the 2017 ITA Southeast Regional Men's Tennis Championships hosted by the University of Mary Washington on September 29-30.
How It Happened
- Sophomores Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) and Ethan Garren (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) finished their fall season by battling in the highly competitive championship bracket. The duo, unfortunately, dropped an 8-5 decision to Lynchburg College's Luke Sablik and Zack Shane. However, the Seahawks were unable to continue in the consolation bracket as Garren suffered a hamstring injury.
- The senior duo of Connor McKissick (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) and Kyle Van Winter (Scaggsville, Md./Good Counsel) finished with a 1-2 record in B2 doubles. They fell 8-1 to Goucher College's duo of Elliot Diehl and Slade Dumas before winning 8-4 against Randolph College's Edgar Ellis and Joseph Kaneda in consolation play. The tandem would then fall to Averett University's Henry Blanco and Carlos Lora, 8-3.
- Junior Jacob Bartholow (Walkersville, Md./Walkersville) and sophomore Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Lackey) notched an 0-2 record in B2 doubles.
- Gorel won his opening round, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4, over Randolph-Macon College's Jacob Haines to advance in the championships bracket. He would then fall in straight sets to Swarthmore College's Thibault Vernier (4-6, 2-6) and Christopher Newport University's Justin Cerny (2-6, 2-6).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- This concludes the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign for St. Mary's. The Seahawks will be back in action this spring, starting February 24 against Roanoke College at the Somerset Tennis Complex.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks