For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Gettysburg, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team opened up their 2018-19 campaign Saturday afternoon under new head coach Greg Shedd. St. Mary's (0-1) dropped an 8-1 non-conference decision at Gettysburg College (2-0).
St. Mary's 1, Gettysburg 8
How It Happened
- Juniors Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) and Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Lackey) battled at No. 1 doubles but came up short in an 8-4 loss to Nick D'Amore and Michael Mills.
- Sophomore Jack Brandenburg (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) and first-year Samuel Sheats (Arnold, Md./Broadneck) also put up a tough fight at No. 2 doubles, falling 8-5 to Kevin Maier and Andrew Corwin.
- Gettysburg headed into singles action with a 3-0 advantage following an 8-1 win at third doubles.
- The Seahawks avoided the shutout when Gorel captured No. 1 singles from D'Amore, 6-1, 6-0.
- Senior Jacob Bartholow (Walkersville, Md./Walkersville) claimed eight games in his 7-5, 6-3 loss to Harrison Brown at No. 5 singles.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 6 vs. Catholic (0-2) – Somerset Tennis Complex – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks