For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
- Score: St. Mary's 57, Mary Washington 68
- Records: St. Mary's (2-3, 0-1 CAC), Mary Washington (2-3, 1-0 CAC)
- Location: Fredericksburg, Va. – William M. Anderson Center
- The Short Story: First-year forward Hallie Persell (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) led a trio of St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball players in double-digit scoring Wednesday night. The Seahawks dropped a disappointing 68-57 decision at the University of Mary Washington in their Capital Athletic Conference opener.
How It Happened
- St. Mary's shot 50% in the first 10 minutes, including going 3-for-3 from downtown, and used a 14-4 run over a five-minute span to claim an 18-14 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- A 7-4 run to start the second stanza allowed the Seahawks to establish their biggest lead of seven at 5:32 but Mary Washington pulled within 31-30 at the break by closing out the half on a 12-6 push.
- It was a poor third quarter for St. Mary's shooting-wise as the Seahawks only connected on two field goals, allowing UMW to break the game wide open by outscoring St. Mary's, 22-7, and notching a 52-38 advantage after three.
- The Eagles remained in the driver's seat in the fourth as St. Mary's was unable to work the deficit down into a manageable gap until the 1:09 mark, coming within nine.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's drained a season-best seven three-pointers while the Eagles hit only three triples.
- The Seahawks also collected a season-high 12 assists.
- Persell led the team in scoring and reached double-figures for the second straight game as she tallied 12 points.
- Persell and junior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) each hauled in a game-best six rebounds.
- Robey and senior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) contributed 10 points
- Kline knocked down two of the team's seven shots from beyond the arc while Robey had a third of the team's assists.
- Meghan Comer came off the bench and sparked the Eagles to victory with 16 points and five boards.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 2 vs. Marymount (Va.) University (4-1, 1-0 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena – CAC contest – 2:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks