For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
- Score: St. Mary's 73, Penn State Behrend 60
- Records: St. Mary's (4-6), Penn State Behrend (4-7)
- Location: St. Mary's City, Md. – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena
- The Short Story: Juniors Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) and Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) combined for 32 rebounds and 32 points in leading St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team to a 73-60 non-conference win over Penn State Behrend Friday afternoon. The Seahawks now head into the New Year on a two-game win streak.
How It Happened
- The first quarter featured back-and-forth action with neither side establishing more than a three-point lead until Chaney and first-year guard Kyaira Priest (Lexington Park, Md./Chopticon) fueled a 7-0 run to give St. Mary's a 17-13 lead with 1:11 left. Ally Dillman made it a two-point game with her jumper with 55 seconds to go.
- Behrend claimed its lead of the game at 8:59 in the second period on an Autumn Byes jumper before Robey sparked a 13-5 run which put the Seahawks on top, 30-24, at 3:32. The Lions closed the gap to three before Chaney's jumper in the waning seconds of the half sent the Seahawks into the locker room with a 33-28 advantage.
- Chaney led all scorers at the break with a first-half double-double on 11 rebounds and 10 points while Erika Woll paced the visitors with nine points and six boards.
- St. Mary's controlled the temp in the third stanza, building a 14-point lead at 3:21 on a pair of free throws by senior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James). The Seahawks headed into the final quarter up 10 after back-to-back jumpers by Byes and Nicole Boyer.
- The hosts shot an impressive 70-percent in the fourth and led by as many as 15 at 3:21 after Kline knocked down her third three-pointer of the day.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's put up season-bests of 54 rebounds and 16 assists while notching season second-highs of 26 field goals made and a 39.4-field goal percentage.
- Chaney poured in career-bests of 20 points and 18 rebounds for her third double-double of the season while making a career-high 10 field goals. She also added a season-best five assists plus three blocks and two steals.
- Robey finished the afternoon with a career-best 14 boards and 12 points for her second double-double of the year to go along with a season-high five steals.
- Kline contributed 12 points, three caroms, and season-best three assists while first-year forward Hallie Persell (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) also chipped in a dozen points plus five rebounds and season-highs of two helpers and two steals.
- Three players scored in double figures for the Lions with Woll leading the way with 18 points and 10 boards.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 3 vs. Southern Virginia University (6-2, 2-2 CAC) – Capital Athletic Conference game - Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – Military Appreciation Night – 6:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks