For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – Sophomore forward Hallie Persell (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) posted her third career double-double Saturday afternoon as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team opened up Capital Athletic Conference action. St. Mary's (1-5, 0-1 CAC) came up short in its third straight loss, falling 59-51 to Salisbury University (5-1, 1-0 CAC).
St. Mary's 51, Salisbury 59
How It Happened
- It was a slow start for St. Mary's as the Seahawks missed their first 11 field goal attempts of the game. First-year guard LaTavia Washington (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) knocked down the team's first bucket of the game with three seconds left in the first quarter to cut the deficit to 13-8. SMCM went 6-of-10 at the free throw line to keep pace with Salisbury.
- A Kylie Webb three-pointer stretched the Sea Gulls' lead to 10 at the 8:05-minute mark before St. Mary's responded with a 10-3 run to close the gap to 21-18 at 2:04. Persell picked up five points, two assists, a defensive rebound, and a block in the run. However, SU closed out the half on a 6-0 push behind four Konig points to boast a 27-18 halftime lead.
- Salisbury opened up a 17-point lead in the third frame, scoring the first eight points of the quarter before Persell's layup ended the Seahawks' five-minute scoring drought and sparked a 14-4 to pull within 39-34 with 1:43 left in the period. Two Konig buckets sent the Sea Gulls into the final stanza with a 43-36 edge.
- Salisbury got back up to a double-digit lead at 8:08 on an Amber Onyekwere layup. Six straight points from the Seahawks closed the gap to 48-44 at 6:30 but St. Mary's would get no closer as the Sea Gulls boasted a 58-47 lead with 16 seconds left on the clock.
Inside the Box Score
- Persell came off the bench to lead the Seahawks with career-bests of 14 rebounds, three assists, and three steals to go along with 13 points and two blocks.
- Sophomore guard Kyaira Priest (Lexington Park, Md./Chopticon) and senior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) each tallied 10 points. Priest added three boards and three helpers while Robey also contributed five dimes, four caroms, a season-high two blocks, and two steals.
- Konig finished the afternoon with 14 points to lead Salisbury to the CAC win while Kaylee Otlowski notched a double-double with a game-best 15 boards and 11 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 6 at Randolph-Macon (6-1) – Ashland, Va. – 7:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks