For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Naples, Fla. – Sophomore forward Hallie Persell (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) put up 14 points on the final day of the Naples Shootout. The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team (4-8) dropped a 66-47 non-conference loss to Suffolk University (9-4) Sunday afternoon.
St. Mary's 47, Suffolk 66
How It Happened
- In the first quarter, the Seahawks erased a seven-point deficit with a 16-8 run to stake an 18-17 lead at the end of one. St. Mary's notched its besting shooting effort of the game, going 7-of-16 from the field, including a perfect 3-of-3 from downtown. A clutch three-point shot by sophomore guard Kyaira Priest (Lexington Park, Md./Chopticon) gave the Seahawks their first lead of the game with 1:21 left in the stanza.
- Suffolk took over the game in the second with a 31-point showing as the Rams shot a blistering 66.7-percent from the field. St. Mary's shooting percentage dropped to below 30-percent while committing seven turnovers which led to 13 points for SU.
- The Seahawks' subpar continued in the third frame unfortunately as Suffolk's defense held them to just two made field goals (2-of-12 for 16.7%), allowing the Rams to stretch their lead to 59-34 at the end of three.
- St. Mary's would finish the game strong, forcing SU into 11 miscues in the fourth and turning those mistakes into 11 points. The Seahawks won the fourth, 13-7, as their shooting jumped back up to nearly 38-percent.
Inside the Box Score
- Persell was the only Seahawk in double figures as she came off the bench to lead St. Mary's with 14 points while adding six rebounds and two assists.
- Priest finished the afternoon with eight points and two steals as she knocked down two of the team's five three-pointers.
- Senior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) led the charge on the glass with seven rebounds while contributing four points and three helpers.
- Junior forward Christine McKee (Frederick, Md./Urbana) chipped in three points, two caroms and two blocks.
- Three Ram players reached the double digit plateau as Natalie Fraioli paced all scorers with 21 points off the bench in 25 minutes. Alexis Hackett collected 14 points, a game-best eight rebounds, and three assists in Suffolk's ninth win of the season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 5 vs. Frostburg State (8-2) – MPOBARC Arena – Capital Athletic Conference game – 2:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks