For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Buena Vista, Va. – Fifteen different players tallied at least one point Saturday afternoon as the 18th-ranked St. Mary's College of Maryland women's lacrosse team opened up the 2017 campaign. St. Mary's posted a convincing 21-1 victory over Southern Virginia University in its Capital Athletic Conference- and season-opener.
No. 18 St. Mary's 21, Southern Virginia 1
How It Happened
- The Seahawks jumped out to a 4-0 lead at 25:37 before senior midfielder Zoe Bradshaw (Stevensville, Mont./Mt. Ararat) interrupted the run with Southern Virginia's only goal of the game at 23:58.
- St. Mary's closed out the half on a 9-0 run for a 13-1 halftime advantage.
- The Seahawk defense kept the Knights off the scoreboard for nearly 54 minutes, held them to just two shots, and caused eight of Southern Virginia's 23 miscues.
- St. Mary's tallied eight unanswered scores in the second half, including going 3-for-3 in free-position shots, to end the game on a 17-0 run.
For St. Mary's (1-0, 1-0 CAC)
- Junior attacker Gabby Beese (Towson, Md./Notre Dame Prep) paced the Seahawks in the dominant win with career-highs of four assists and five points.
- Senior midfielder Erika Kopf (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) contributed two goals and a career-best two assists while senior captain Abbey Harrison (Easton, Md./Easton) chipped in two goals and an assist.
- Junior captain Megan Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Notre Dame Prep) scooped up a career-best six ground balls to lead the defensive effort while adding two goals.
- Sophomore attacker Sydni Thacker (Lutherville, Md./McDonogh) won a career-best four draw controls while chipping in an unassisted tally.
- The Seahawks posted a 26-2 advantage in shots, a 23-12 margin in ground balls, and won 17 of 24 draw controls.
For Southern Virginia (0-1, 0-1 CAC)
- Scorer (G-A): Bradshaw (1-0)
- Goalie: Madilyn Krauss (0 saves, 13 GA, 30:00); Keilani Torres-Lopez (1 save, 8 GA, 30:00)
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will begin the home portion of its 2017 schedule on Wednesday, February 22 when the Seahawks host Virginia Wesleyan College in non-conference action at 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax