For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Frostburg, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's lacrosse team clinched the fourth seed in the upcoming Capital Athletic Conference Women's Lacrosse Championship Tournament with an 18-12 road win over Frostburg State University in the regular-season finale Saturday afternoon.
Junior attacker Lacey Brown (Monkton, Md./Hereford) helped the Seahawks turn around a 6-4 deficit with a career-best five goals while senior midfielder Erika Kopf (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) contributed her seventh career hat trick as a Seahawk, tallying three goals and adding two assists.
St. Mary's 18, Frostburg State 12
How It Happened
- After St. Mary's claimed a 3-1 lead at 26:06 behind three different goal scorers, the Bobcats used a 5-1 run to stake their first and only lead of the game, 6-4, at 18:28.
- The Seahawks responded with a 7-0 run to head into intermission with an 11-6 advantage. Kopf, junior midfielder Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James), and sophomore attacker Ali Collie (Glen Arm, Md./Dulaney) each scored twice in the run.
- Frostburg State opened up the second half with two goals to cut the deficit to three at 24:58. As the two sides traded goals, the Bobcats would pull within three two more times before St. Mary's stretched its lead back to five at 12:37.
For St. Mary's (9-8, 5-3 CAC)
- Senior captain Abbey Harrison (Easton, Md./Easton) collected her seventh career hat trick with a career-best three goals and finished the day with a career-high four points.
- Collie collected her first career hat trick with a career-best three goals while Kline netted career-highs of four points, two goals, and two assists to aid in the Seahawks' third straight win.
- Junior defender Maribeth Anderson (Phoenix, Md./Dulaney) registered season-bests of six ground balls and two caused turnovers on the defensive end while first-year midfielder Kate Bartholomew (Galena, Md./Kent County) grabbed a season-high eight draw controls for the second time and dished her second career assist.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Emma Brown (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) made 10 stops, scooped up three ground balls, and caused one FSU turnover.
- St. Mary's outshot the Bobcats, 40-29.
For Frostburg State (6-10, 3-5 CAC)
- Scorers (G-A): Morgan Cavey (5-0); Nikki Hallikas (2-5); Molly Hart (1-2); Emani Byrd (1-0); Molly Biggers (1-0); Courtney Ridenour (1-0); Logan Brady (1-0); Jamie Twardowicz (0-2); Megan Hart (0-1)
- Goalie: Dylan Teitelbaum (10 saves, 18 GA, 60:00)
Up Next for the Seahawks
- St. Mary's will welcome back Christopher Newport University (10-7, 4-4 CAC) to Seahawk Stadium on Tuesday, April 18 at 4:00 p.m. for the first round of the CAC Tournament. In the regular-season meeting on April 12, Harrison scored with 16.6 seconds left to lift the Seahawks to a 16-15 win at home.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX, #GoHawks, #TalonsOut, #Unfinished
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax