For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – All four Seahawk seniors tallied at least one point as the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's lacrosse team soared past Frostburg State University on Senior Day. St. Mary's (7-7, 3-3 CAC) rebounded from Wednesday's loss with a commanding 19-5 Capital Athletic Conference win over the Bobcats (5-8-1, 2-4 CAC).
Before the game, the Seahawks honored their four seniors – defender Maribeth Anderson (Phoenix, Md./Dulaney), attackers Gabby Beese (Towson, Md./Notre Dame Prep) and Lacey Brown (Monkton, Md./Hereford), and midfielder Megan Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./Notre Dame Prep) - for their years of dedication and leadership to the program. During their career, St. Mary's has posted an overall record of 45-25, including a 20-10 record in Capital Athletic Conference action. In 2016, these seniors led the team to their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2008. The Seahawks have also made three straight appearances in the CAC Tournament, including a title bid in 2016 and a semifinal appearance in 2015.
How It Happened
- The seniors combined for 43-percent of the team's total points as the quartet notched five goals and seven assists.
- St. Mary's rattled off 13 unanswered goals, including the first goal of the second half, and never looked back in rolling to its third conference win of the season and snapping the Bobcats' two-game win streak.
- Morgan Cavey helped Frostburg avoid the shutout with an unassisted tally at 26:24 of the second half. The Bobcats strung together a pair of two-goal runs for the 19-5 final.
Inside the Box Score
- Beese finished the afternoon with career-bests of two goals, four assists, and six points while sophomore midfielder Kate Bartholomew (Galena, Md./Kent County) contributed four goals and four draw controls.
- Cannon contributed four ground balls, three draw controls, and two goals while Brown chipped in a goal and an assist. Anderson added her fifth career assist.
- Junior goalie Emma Brown (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) made eight saves and scooped up two ground balls while allowing three goals in 46:15 minutes.
- Morgan Cavey tallied three goals and an assist to lead Frostburg while Summer Cavey won five draw controls. In goal, Abigail McClure gave up nine goals and came up with two stops in 20:02.
- Shots: St. Mary's 34, Frostburg 14
- Ground Balls: St. Mary's 19, Frostburg 19
- Draw Controls: St. Mary's 15, Frostburg 8
- Free-Position Shots: St. Mary's 2-4, Frostburg 0-1
- Saves: St. Mary's 8, Frostburg 4
- Caused Turnovers: St. Mary's 5, Frostburg 3
- Turnovers: St. Mary's 14, Frostburg 17
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 16 vs. Washington College (10-2) – Seahawk Stadium – 4:30 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwlax
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMWLAX
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks