For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Newport News, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team gave up a goal in each half, falling 2-0 on the road to No. 9 Christopher Newport University Wednesday night. St. Mary's falls to 2-2-1 in Capital Athletic Conference action while Christopher Newport remains undefeated at 5-0.
St. Mary's 0, No. 9 Christopher Newport 2
How It Happened
- Christopher Newport scored its first goal in the fourth minute when Logan Montel headed in a long pass from the midfield off the foot of Alexi Manley.
- The Captains tallied an insurance marker a little over two minutes into the second half as Riley Cook netted her CAC-leading 12th goal of the season.
For the Seahawks (3-7-3, 2-2-1 CAC)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Sydney Larkin (4 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's was held to just one shot in each half (neither on frame) and three corner kicks
For Christopher Newport (12-0-1, 5-0-0 CAC)
- Scorers: Montel (1 goal); Cook (1 goal); Manley (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Carly Maglio (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Captains won their 10th straight contest and recorded their fourth shutout win with 19 shots (six on goal) and eight corners.
- Christopher Newport improves to 7-2 all-time against the Seahawks, including four wins in a row.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 14 at Southern Virginia University (5-7-1, 2-3 CAC) – Buena Vista, Va. – CAC match – 3:00 p.m.
- Since the series began in 2013, St. Mary's is 2-0-2 against the Knights.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks