For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Fredericksburg, Va. – A pair of second-half goals lifted the University of Mary Washington to a 2-0 Capital Athletic Conference win over the visiting St. Mary's College of Maryland Seahawks Wednesday afternoon.
The loss drops St. Mary's to 2-3-2 in conference action and sixth in the CAC standings while Mary Washington improves to 3-3-1 in league play and fourth in the conference.
St. Mary's 0, Mary Washington 2
How It Happened
- Even play between both sides maintained the first half scoreless as UMW edged the Seahawks, 5-4, in shots as well as 2-1 in corner kicks.
- Brielle Mitchell broke the 0-0 draw in the 55th minute as Mitchell put one past senior captain Sydney Larkin (Salisbury, Md./Parkside) off a free kick.
- The Eagles netted an insurance marker in the 78th minute when Brooke Bauman sent a pass across to Erica Ganthner for the finish.
- St. Mary's earned five corner kicks and generated five shots in the second half but just couldn't find the back of the net.
For the Seahawks (3-8-4, 2-3-2 CAC)
- Scorer: None
- Goalkeeper: Larkin (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's tallied nine shots (five on goal) and six corner kicks.
For Mary Washington (7-8-1, 3-3-1 CAC)
- Scorers: Mitchell (1 goal), Ganthner (1 goal), Bauman (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Haley Randall (5 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Eagles won their second straight with 15 shots (four on goal) and four corner kicks.
- Mary Washington moves to 26-7-8 all-time against the Seahawks with its first win over St. Mary's since 2014.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 218 vs. Wesley College (3-10-1, 0-7-0 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – CAC match – Senior Day – 1:00 p.m.
- St. Mary's dominates the series with a 16-1 record, including nine wins in a row.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks