For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Westminster, Md. –The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team generated plenty of offense Sunday afternoon and received solid play from sophomore goalkeeper Ellie Marts (Darlington, Md./John Carroll) in her first career start but St. Mary's dropped a 1-0 decision at McDaniel College in non-conference action.
St. Mary's 0, McDaniel 1
How It Happened
- Shots were equal at four each in the first half but the Seahawks held a slight 5-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Marts picked up four of her six saves in the first 45 minutes and the two sides headed into halftime in a scoreless draw.
- McDaniel ramped up its attack in the second stanza, firing off nine shots to St. Mary's six. However, the Seahawks continued to compel the Green Terror to force the ball out and four more corners.
- McKenna Zerbe stepped up her game in the second period as well, making four stops to keep St. Mary's off the scoreboard.
- McDaniel finally broke the stalemate in the 75th minute when Kristen Worry headed down the ball at the top of the box and Lindsey Farrell finished with a half volley to the left side of the goal.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Marts (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- St. Mary's registered 10 shots and nine corners in the game.
- Scorers: Farrell (1 goal); Worry (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Zerbe (5 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Green Terror posted 13 shots and earned four corner kicks.
- McDaniel, who tallied a 12-6-2 record and made an appearance in the NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Championship Tournament last fall, have now won the last four matchups with the Seahawks. However, SMCM still maintains a 12-4-1 record in the series, which began in 1986.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 5 vs. Eastern Mennonite (1-1) – Seahawk Stadium – 4:00 p.m.
- This is the first-ever meeting with the EMU Royals.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks