For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
Chestertown, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's swim team traveled to Washington College Friday night for a non-conference dual meet. St. Mary's (2-4) battled but came out on the wrong end of a 129-76 decision to Washington College (3-3).
St. Mary's 76, Washington College 129
How It Happened
- First-year Alekx Grcic (North Potomac, Md./Quince Orchard) and juniors Hailley Baughman (Lineboro, Md./Manchester Valley), Rachel Yates (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) and Elizabeth Valenti (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) took home first place in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:45.79.
- First-year Anna LaPoint (Fairport, N.Y./Fairport) took first place in the 500 freestyle and had a winning time of 5:26.61. LaPoint also came in second in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:02.64, just under a second out of first place.
- Sophomore Carolyn Sutton (Laurel, Md./Laurel), Baughman, senior captain Rachel Sonnenberg (Derwood, Md./Magruder) and LaPoint teamed up to swim the 200 medley relay where they came in second with a time of 1:55.51. That was only a little over a second off the first-place team.
- Sutton swam a 26.34 in the 50 freestyle, which put her second and a mere 1.05 seconds out of first. She also claimed second in the 100 backstroke in 1:04.83.
- Valenti, R. Sonnenberg, Grcic and Baughman all finished second in their individual races as well.
- Valenti placed second in both the 1,000 freestyle (11:31.44) and the 200 individual medley (2:21.43) while R. Sonnenberg posted a 1:03.52 in the 100 butterfly, just 71-hundredths of a second off the first-place mark.
- Grcic notched a 57.27 in the 100 freestyle for second-place honors while Baughman just missed out on top honors in the 100 breaststroke, being out-touched by 8-hundredths of a second and taking second in 1:09.19.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 18 at McDaniel College (0-2) – Westminster, Md. – 1:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks