For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Baltimore, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's tennis team (3-1) posted a pair of wins on Saturday at Goucher College. St. Mary's took down No. 23 Harford Community College (3-3), 5-4, before notching a 7-2 win over the host Goucher Gophers (1-6).
St. Mary's 5, No. 23 Harford C.C. 4
How It Happened
- Sophomore Claire Bodine (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) and first-year Alden Grosh (Hagerstown, Md./Smithsburg) got the first points against the nationally-ranked Fighting Owls by winning 8-2 at No. 3 doubles.
- Senior Raziela Manangan (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) and first-year Sophia Gary (Germantown, Md./Holton-Arms) won their No. 2 doubles match with a score of 8-4 over Harford's Rosario Bove and Sofia Samra to send St. Mary's into singles action with a 2-1 lead.
- Manangan (No. 3) and Bodine (No. 5) both picked up straight set victories to even up the match at 4-4.
- Senior Savannah Bergen (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown) clinched the 5-4 win for St. Mary's over the Fighting Owls, by taking down Kayli Fonzi, 7-5, 6-4 at No. 6 singles.
St. Mary's 7, Goucher 2
How It Happened
- Senior captains Melissa Barall (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) and Chelsea English (Clarksville, Md./River Hill) bested their opponents, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles for the Seahawks' first point against Goucher.
- Manangan and Gary picked up their second doubles win of the day by defeating Goucher's Mackenzie Donohue and Miranda Egan-Brooks, 8-6, at No. 2 doubles and St. Mary's headed into singles action up 2-1.
- Barall continued her strong year by winning 8-0 over Goucher's Ali Gorson-Morrow at No. 1 singles to improve to 5-1 while Gary claimed an 8-6 win at the No. 2 spot.
- Manangan used an 8-5 win over Donohue to finish up her day with a perfect 4-0 record while Bodine's two victories on the day helped her put an end to a five-match skid.
- St. Mary's is headed south to Hilton Head Island, S.C. for its Spring Break trip (Mar. 11-16), taking on Marietta College, Greenville University, and Millikin University at the PTR Spring TennisFest.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 13 vs. Marietta College (1-5) – Hilton Head Island, S.C. – 5:30 p.m.
- Mar. 14 vs. Greenville University (1-1) – Hilton Head Island, S.C. – 11:00 a.m.
- Mar. 15 vs. Millikin University (8-6) – Hilton Head Island, S.C. – 12:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks