For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Baltimore, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team battled Friday night but suffered a 3-0 setback at the hands of the host Johns Hopkins University Blue Jays.
St. Mary's 0, Johns Hopkins 3 (16-25, 6-25, 10-25)
How It Happened
- St. Mary's opened up the match with a 3-0 lead behind two blocks from junior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) and kept it close through the first 26 points of the match.
- The Blue Jays, who are receiving votes in this week's AVCA Top 25, went on to close out the first set on an 11-4 push.
- The Seahawks once again began a set with a 3-0 lead but Johns Hopkins rolled to a 2-0 match lead with a 25-3 run.
- Hopkins never trailed in the final game on its way to clinching its fifth straight victory.
For the St. Mary's (1-7)
- Meghan Kelley – 5 kills
- Mia Griffiths – 7 assists, 7 digs
- Hannah Krauss – 3 kills, 2 solo blocks
- St. Mary's hit negatively for the match with two service aces and 4.0 team blocks.
For Johns Hopkins (6-2)
- Louisa Kishton – 14 kills, .737 attack pct., 6 digs
- Kristi Read – 14 assists, 8 kills, .615 attack pct., 4 digs
- Natalie Aston – 14 assists, 6 kills, .600 attack pct., 4 digs, 3 block assists
- Elizabeth Wuerstle – 10 service aces, 7 kills, .500 attack pct.
- Nicole Hada – 6 digs, 3 assists, 2 service aces
- JHU hit nearly .500 for the match with 15 service aces and 4.0 team blocks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 16 vs. College of Saint Elizabeth (2-5) – at Lancaster Bible College – Lancaster, Pa. – 1:00 p.m.
- Sept. 16 at Lancaster Bible (2-4) – Lancaster, Pa. – 3:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks