For Immediate Release · Saturday, September 16, 2017 · email@example.com
Lancaster, Pa. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team returned to the win column Saturday afternoon with a pair of wins over the College of Saint Elizabeth and host Lancaster Bible College, snapping a two-match skid and improving to 3-7 on the season.
St. Mary's 3, St. Elizabeth 1 (25-11, 15-25, 25-13, 25-16)
How It Happened
- For the first time since the Gallaudet match on September 1, St. Mary's had more than one person with double-digit kills as the Seahawks hit above .200 for the second time this season.
- Juniors Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) and Grace Seifert (Cambridge, Md./Salisbury Christian) paced the Seahawk offense with match-highs of 13 and 12 kills, respectively.
- St. Mary's never trailed in the first set but broke a 7-7 tie with an 18-4 run to close out the game and take a 1-0 lead. Seifert and junior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) paced the team with three kills each while junior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) came up with four digs.
- St. Elizabeth rallied with a 25-15 win in the second set as the Eagles hit .340 for the set and the Seahawks committed eight errors against eight kills.
- The Seahawks then won two straight to capture the match by a 3-1 margin.
- St. Mary's trailed early in the third but broke the game open with a 16-5 run as Seifert and Kelley led the way with four kills each.
- In the fourth, the Seahawks rallied from a 12-9 deficit as a Kelley kill sparked a 16-4 run to end the match.
For St. Mary's (2-7)
- Kelley – 13 kills, .310 attack pct., 3 digs
- Seifert – 12 kills, 3 block assists
- Marina Bell – 19 assists, 4 digs
- Mia Griffiths – 19 assists, 4 service aces, 3 kills
- Dangler – 11 digs
- Adair Watson – 5 kills, 5 digs, 3 block assists
- The Seahawks collected a season-high 11 service aces and 4.0 team blocks.
For St. Elizabeth (2-7)
- Stephanie Mitarotonda – 9 kills, 5 digs, 3.0 total blocks (1 BS, 2 BA)
- Maura Farley – 11 assists, 10 digs, 3 kills, 2 block assists
- Christy Marte – 10 assists, 7 kills, 4 digs
- Yasmin'na Muhammad – 6 kills, 4 digs, 3 service aces
- Jessica Garreffa – 13 digs
- The Eagles hit under .100 for the match with five aces and 6.0 team blocks.
St. Mary's 3, Lancaster Bible 0 (25-16, 25-23, 25-11)
How It Happened
- Kelley and Seifert once again led the way with eight kills apiece while Dangler recorded 12 digs to direct the defensive effort.
- After a set-opening kill by Lancaster Bible, the Seahawks never trailed again in grabbing a 1-0 lead behind four kills and four digs from Krauss.
- It was a much closer second set with eight tied scores and three lead changes.
- After LBC knotted the set at 22-22, St. Mary's gained two straight points off a Charger error and a service ace from first-year setter Nicole Kreutzinger (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial). Lancaster Bible avoided one set point with a Hannah Gipe kill before block assists from Seifert and sophomore middle blocker Audrey McKay (Elkridge, Md./Howard) sealed the 2-0 lead.
- The Seahawks opened the third set with a 16-1 advantage and never looked back in cruising to their first sweep of the season.
For the Seahawks (3-7)
- Kelley – 8 kills
- Seifert – 8 kills, 3 digs, 2 assists, 2 block assists
- Griffiths – 27 assists, 8 digs, 4 kills,
- Dangler – 12 digs
- Krauss – 7 kills, 7 digs, 2 service aces
- Emily Benedict – 9 digs, 2 service aces
- St. Mary's once again hit above .200 with .223 for the match while posting six aces and 5.0 team blocks.
For Lancaster Bible (3-5)
- Aleah Heyworth – 7 kills
- Allison Shuey – 18 assists, 7 digs, 2 kills
- Hannah Thompson – 7 digs, 2 service aces
- Myranda Kemrer – 12 digs, 3 assists
- Bekah Roberts – 6 kills, 3 block assists
- The Chargers tallied a negative attack percentage with six service aces and 3.0 team blocks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 23 vs. The Catholic University of America (8-6) – Owings Mills, Md. – at Stevenson University – 3:00 p.m.
- Sept. 23 at Stevenson (12-1) – Owings Mills, Md. – 5:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks