For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Juniors Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) and Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) each put up 13 kills but the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team came short in a 3-1 loss to Wesley College Friday night.
The loss keeps St. Mary's winless in Capital Athletic Conference action while Wesley collects its first CAC win of 2017 as well as its first-ever victory over the Seahawks in 12 attempts.
St. Mary's 1, Wesley 3 (25-27, 13-25, 25-18, 21-25)
How It Happened
- St. Mary's turned an early one-point setback into a 22-14 advantage as Krauss both sparked and capped a 19-10 run. However, the Wolverines rallied and eventually reclaimed a 25-24 lead before closing out the 27-25 first set win as Jessica Tynes notched five kills during the rally.
- It was Wesley all the way in the second set as the Wolverines jumped out a 5-1 lead and never looked back, taking a 2-0 lead with a convincing 25-13 victory.
- The Seahawks avoided the sweep by responding with a 25-18 triumph in the third game, breaking open a 12-12 draw with a 13-6 run.
- St. Mary's continued to battle in the fourth set, overcoming a 15-10 deficit and closing the gap to 19-17 before the Wolverines used a 6-4 push to seal the deal.
Other Top Performers for St. Mary's (3-17, 0-6 CAC)
- Mia Griffifths – 40 assists, 8 digs, 3 kills
- Marissa Dangler – 23 digs
- Emily Benedict – 12 digs, season-best 2 service aces
- Megan Fitzpatrick – Season-best 11 digs
- The Seahawks came up with a .140 attack percentage for the match, hitting .210 in the first set, while tallying five aces and 6.0 team blocks.
For Wesley (14-9, 1-4 CAC)
- Tynes – 13 kills, 20 digs, 2 block assists
- Teaghen Vogelsang – 28 assists, 7 digs
- Lindsay Burg – 20 assists, 11 digs
- Caelli Clifford – 24 digs
- Tionne Graves-Brown – 14 digs, 8 kills
- The Wolverines hit .208 for the match, including posting a .270 attack percentage in the second set, while recording five service aces and 6.0 team blocks as well.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 14 vs. Salisbury University (13-7, 2-2 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – CAC match – Dig Pink Rally - 3:00 p.m.
- To help the team reach their goal of $1,500 for the Side-Out Foundation, please make a donation at Saturday's game or go online at https://giving.side-out.org/campaigns/13611.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks