For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team opened up the home portion of their 2018 schedule on Tuesday night. St. Mary's (2-3) battled long and hard in front of the loud and energetic home crowd but came up short in a five-set loss to Lancaster Bible College (2-3).
St. Mary's 2, Lancaster Bible 3 (21-25, 25-23, 25-23, 18-25, 10-15)
How It Happened
- The first set went to Lancaster Bible as the Chargers finished by outscoring St. Mary's, 11-7, to break a 14-14 tie. Courtney Goyak, who finished with 13 kills for the match, put up five in the first frame, including knocking down the kill for set point.
- St. Mary's rallied in the next two sets, taking both by a 25-23 decision.
- In the second set, the Seahawks turned around an 18-13 deficit on the strength of 13 kills, including five from senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial); while a pair of consecutive LBC attacking errors sealed the win for the hosts.
- The third set went much the same way as the second as the Chargers built a 22-15 lead and St. Mary's dug deep for the win. First-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas' (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) sparked an 8-1 run following a Seahawk timeout. Kelley dropped four kills in the run.
- Lancaster Bible claimed the fourth set when LBC flipped a 15-14 setback with an 11-3 run to close out the game and force the fifth and deciding set. Hannah Gipe and Ashtyn Bouslog led the way with four kills apiece.
- Poor hitting in the fifth grounded the Seahawks, who only mustered two kills, and Lancaster Bible was able to pull out the win.
For the Seahawks
- Meghan Kelley – 14 kills, 3 digs, 3 block assists
- Katie Agate – 43 assists, 5 digs, 4 kills, 2 block assists
- Hannah Krauss – 6 kills, 6 block assists, 5 digs, 2 aces
- Emily Benedict – 23 digs, 1 kill, 1 assist
- St. Mary's picked up 71 digs, 52 kills, and 11.0 total team blocks on one block solo and 20 block assists plus three aces in its second loss in a row.
For Lancaster Bible
- Hannah Gipe – 14 kills, 4 digs, 3 assists, 2 block assists
- Allison Shuey – 39 assists, 9 digs, 3 kills, 3 block assists, 1 ace
- Hannah Thompson – 25 digs, 6 assists, 3 aces
- Bekah Roberts – 6 block assists, 4 kills, 2 digs
- Erin Harkey – 4 digs, 3 aces, 1 kill, 1 assist
- The Chargers, who picked up their second straight win this season, finished with 72 digs, 54 kills, 13 aces, and nine total team blocks on one block solo and 16 block assists for the match. This was also LBC's first-ever win over St. Mary's in three tries.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 8 vs. Eastern Mennonite (2-1) – St. Mary's City, Md. (MPOBARC Arena) – 12:00 p.m.
- Sep. 8 vs. McDaniel (5-0) – St. Mary's City, Md. (MPOBARC Arena) – 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks