For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Frederick, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team posted two 3-0 wins Friday afternoon on the first day of the Seahawk/Blazer Invitational at Hood College. St. Mary's (5-4) swept both Alvernia University (1-6) and New Jersey City University (2-4).
- St. Mary's defeated Alvernia, 25-18, 25-18, 25-16.
- The Seahawks beat New Jersey City, 25-19, 25-9, 25-22.
St. Mary's 3, Alvernia 0
- First-year outside hitter Taylor Wigglesworth (Gambrills, Md./Arundel) paced the Seahawks in the win with nine kills while senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) added eight.
- Senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) collected a season-best 30 assists while first-year outside hitter Julia Sledz (Bethlehem, Pa./Bethlehem Catholic) matched a season-high four aces for the third time.
- Defensively, senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) registered her fifth double-digit dig match with 17 while sophomore Ellyse Sutliff (Warrenton, Va./Kettle Run) contributed a season-best four block assists.
- St. Mary's hit over .200 for the match for the second time this season while serving up nine aces.
- Olivia Frutiger paced the Golden Wolves of Alvernia with eight kills and nine digs.
St. Mary's 3, New Jersey City 0
- Kelley led St. Mary's in the win with 11 kills while Sutliff notched nine.
- Griffiths just missed a double-double with 28 assists and eight digs while junior defensive specialist Emily Benedict (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) tallied a season-best six aces.
- Sophomore Katie Agate (Leonardtown, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) put up a season-high 4.0 total blocks on one block solo and season-best three block assists.
- The Seahawks hit a season-high .266 for the match with a season second-best 14 aces.
- St. Mary's jumped out to a 6-2 lead in the first set before the Gothic Knights responded with an 8-0 run to post a 10-6 advantage on a Seahawk attacking error. A Sutliff kill broke a 16-16 tie and sparked a 9-3 run for the 25-19 win.
- The Seahawks opened up the second set with a 6-0 run and never looked back in rolling to a 25-9 win and a 2-0 lead in the match.
- In the third set, St. Mary's began with a 4-0 run before building a 9-4 advantage on a kill by senior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park). The Gothic Knights turned that deficit into a 14-11 lead behind a Seahawk attacking error. Three straight kills by Kelley helped SMCM regain control and a 20-18 margin. NJCU stayed close by a Wigglesworth kill and a Gothic Knight attacking error wrapped up the win for St. Mary's.
- Amber O'Donnell paced NJCU with nine kills and 11 digs.
- These were the Seahawks' second and third 3-0 wins of the season while improving to 4-1 in neutral site contests.
- Their two-match win streak matches their longest of the season for the second time.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 15 vs. Valley Forge (2-8) – Frederick, Md. (BB&T Arena) – 12:00 p.m.
- Sep. 15 at Hood (5-4) – Frederick, Md. (BB&T Arena) – 2:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks