For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team dropped both matches Saturday afternoon in their Dig Pink tri-match with York College of Pennsylvania and Stevenson University. St. Mary's (11-8, 0-2 CAC) began the day with a 3-0 loss to York (10-5, 1-1 CAC) as the team's first conference win since 2016 remains elusive. The Seahawks then suffered their third five-set loss of the season at the hands of Stevenson (11-8).
- York swept St. Mary's, 20-25, 20-25, 14-25.
- Stevenson outlasted the Seahawks, 20-25, 25-23, 25-27, 25-16, 15-11.
St. Mary's 0, York 3
- Senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) led St. Mary's against the Spartans with eight kills while senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) dished out 14 assists and senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) had 11 digs.
- The Seahawks opened up with a 2-0 lead but never lead again as York grabbed an 11-5 advantage and held on for the first set victory. St. Mary's came within 20-18 on a Spartan attack error but YCP sealed the win with a 5-2 run.
- It was much of the same in the second set as York led the whole way other than St. Mary's claiming the first point of the game. The Seahawks pulled even at 16-16 on an YCP error and then were within 22-20 before York won the last three points.
- St. Mary's won the first point of the third set but it was all Spartans after that as York raced out to a 10-3 lead and never looked back.
- Madyson Whitcomb and Brooke Krebs both finished with double-digit kills as Whitcomb led the way with 13 and Krebs added 11. Defensively, Alexis Harbold came up with 19 digs and Krebs completed the double-double with 13 digs.
- St. Mary's conference skid stretches to 13 straight.
St. Mary's 2, Stevenson 3
- St. Mary's battled in its fifth five-setter of the season, dropping to 2-3 in five-set matches this year.
- Two Seahawks finished with double-digit kills as sophomore Ellyse Sutliff (Warrenton, Va./Kettle Run) was the offensive leader with 15 while Kelley added a dozen.
- Griffiths put up a season-best 44 assists and finished one dig shy of a double-double with nine digs.
- Three St. Mary's players notched double-figure digs with Dangler leading the way with 18. First-year outside hitter Julia Sledz (Bethlehem, Pa./Bethlehem Catholic) contributing 13 and sophomore defensive specialist Nicole Kreutzinger (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) notching a dozen.
- The Seahawks were all over Stevenson in the first set, jumping out to a 4-0 lead and then rolling to a 22-13 advantage.
- Stevenson began the second set with a 7-1 spurt but St. Mary's caught up with SU, pulling even at 18-18 on a kill by first-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) and taking the lead on a Kreutzinger ace. The Seahawks went up 21-19 on a Mustang error before Stevenson reclaimed the lead with three quick points. St. Mary's knotted the set at 22-all but the Mustangs were able to hold for the set.
- The third set was another two-point game as there were eight tied scores. The Seahawks pulled out the win, using back-to-back kills from senior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) and Kreutzinger.
- St. Mary's took the first point of the fourth set but the Mustangs took it from there, opening up a 16-11 advantage and forcing a deciding set with fourth-set victory.
- A kill by Katie Leftridge gave Stevenson an 8-6 lead as the teams switched sides. The Seahawks closed the gap to 10-9 on a Mustang attack error but got no closer as Stevenson used two St. Mary's errors and a pair of Moriah Savage kills to stretch its lead to 14-9. The Seahawks staved off match point twice before a service error sealed the win for the Mustangs.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 2 at Notre Dame (Md.) – Baltimore, Md. – 7:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks