For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Baltimore, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team picked up their 12th win of the season Tuesday night to quadruple their 2017 win total. In its sixth five-setter this year, St. Mary's (12-8) posted a 3-2 non-conference victory over the host Notre Dame of Maryland University Gators (14-4).
- St. Mary's notched its third fifth-set victory of 2018, 22-25, 25-12, 25-21, 23-25, 18-16.
St. Mary's 3, Notre Dame 2
- A trio of Seahawks tallied double-digit kills to lead an offense, which collected a season-best 60 kills.
- Senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) put up a team-high 19 kills while first-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) contributed a season-best 16 kills, seven digs, and two block assists.
- Senior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) added a season-high 13 kills plus a block solo and three block assists.
- Senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) dished 45 of the team's season-best 53 assists while amassing a season-high 16 digs for her seventh double-double this year.
- Junior defensive specialist Emily Benedict (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) commanded the Seahawk defense with a season-best 26 digs and served up three aces.
- The Gators turned around a 9-6 deficit into a 25-22 victory as NDM rolled out a 15-5 run to lead by seven, their biggest lead of the set. St. Mary's pulled within 24-22 on a Kelley kill but a Sarah Sweet kill sealed the 1-0 lead for Notre Dame.
- St. Mary's jumped out to an 11-0 advantage in the second and never looked back in cruising to a 25-12 and knotting the match at 1-1.
- Notre Dame claimed the first point of the third set but the Seahawks quickly took over the lead on their way to a 2-1 match lead. The Gators pulled even three times but never regained the lead, coming within 24-21 before a Kelley kill put an end to the game.
- Finding themselves down in the early part of the fourth, the Seahawks rallied with a 12-1 run to boast a 20-13 advantage. St. Mary's could not clinch the win as Notre Dame battled back to within 23-20 before five consecutive Seahawk errors handed the 25-23 win to the Gators and forced a deciding set.
- NDM staked a 7-2 lead in the fifth behind three points from Alyssa Kerns. St. Mary's pulled even three times, including 16-16 on a Kelley kill, before a Gator error and another Kelley kill sent the Seahawks home with the win.
- Sweet finished with a double-double on a match-best 20 kills and 14 digs while Kayleigh Davis also recorded a double-double on 18 kills and 17 digs.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 5 at No. 24 Christopher Newport – Newport News, Va. – 5:00 p.m.
- Oct. 6 vs. Messiah – Newport News, Va. – 11:00 a.m.
- Oct. 6 vs. Randolph – Newport News, Va. – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks