For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredericksburg, Va. – The 2018 campaign for the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team ended Wednesday night. St. Mary's (14-18) dropped a 3-0 decision to the University of Mary Washington (19-10) in the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Volleyball Championship Tournament First Round. The Seahawks lost 18-25, 13-25, 10-25.
St. Mary's 0, Mary Washington 3
- St. Mary's grabbed an early lead in the first set, staking a 10-9 advantage on an Eagle attacking error. Mary Washington then claimed its first lead of the game following a 5-0 run to lead 14-10. The Seahawks closed the gap to 14-12 on another UMW error before the Eagles rattled off 10 of the next 14 points to widen their lead by eight. A St. Mary's service error sealed a 1-0 lead for UMW.
- After making six errors in the first game, Mary Washington only made one over the final two sets as the Eagles tallied 25-13 and 25-10 wins for their second sweep of St. Mary's in six days.
- Senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) paced the Seahawks offensively with seven kills against one error in 14 attempts (.429).
- First-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) put up six kills while senior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) and sophomore Ellyse Sutliff (Warrenton, Va./Kettle Run) each turned in five kills.
- Senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) contributed 22 assists and six digs while senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) led St. Mary's with 10 digs.
- The Seahawks recorded 25 kills against 24 errors in 101 attempts for the match.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season Complete
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks