For Immediate Release · Saturday, February 11, 2016 · email@example.com
Ashland, Va. – First-year head coach Bernie Stratchko made his debut as the St. Mary's College of Maryland baseball skipper Saturday afternoon at No. 6 Randolph-Macon College (2-0). The Seahawks (0-2) dropped the season-opening doubleheader, 8-1 and 9-3.
Randolph-Macon 8, St. Mary's 1 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon would own a lead of 6-0 through three innings before junior catcher Matt Bieler (Bowie, Md./Bowie) put the Seahawks on the scoreboard.
- Bieler scored in the top of the fourth when junior designated hitter Sean Goodie (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) flied out to right field for the sacrifice.
- The Seahawks' first-year first baseman Jay Hammett (Colton's Point, Md./Chopticon), Bieler, and Goodie all contributed doubles in the game.
- Defensively, Hammett and junior second baseman Bennet Garner (Bowie, Md./Bowie) connected for a double play whensenior Hermino Azor (Fairfax, Va./Robinson)grounded out to second base, causing the second and third outs in the bottom of the fourth.
- The Yellow Jackets would score one run in the sixth and the seventh innings for the 8-1 final.
- Sophomore shortstop Jeffrey Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch) led Randolph-Macon with three hits, two RBI, two walks, two stolen bases, and one run.
- St. Mary's would conclude the game with one run on five hits and one RBI.
- The Yellow Jackets went away with 10 hits, eight runs, and seven RBI.
- Senior LHP Nick Raimondo (Davidsonville, Md./South River) would take the loss, pitching 2.0 innings with three walks. First-year RHP Zach Thompson (West River, Md./Spalding) pitched 4.0 innings of relief with four walks while junior Dan McCann (Laurel, Md./Atholton) threw the last two innings with two strikeouts.
- Senior pitcher Nic Phelps (Richmond, Va./Mills Godwin) would take his first win against the Seahawks, pitching 4.0 innings with two strikeouts.
Randolph-Macon 9, St. Mary's 3 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- Sophomore outfielder Lucas Kraft (Boyds, Md./Clarksburg) would lead the Seahawks with two runs and two hits, including a double.
- Kraft gave the Seahawks an early 1-0 lead as Kraft doubled to lead off the first inning and scored on a fielding error.
- St. Mary's would then take a 3-1 advantage in the third behind runs from Kraft and Bieler. Hammett would reach on a fielder's choice, allowing Kraft to cross home plate. Goodie would single to right field to bring in Bieler.
- The Yellow Jackets were led by Butler and senior second baseman Stuart Brown (Midlothian, Va./Trinity)with two hits and one RBI each.
- Sophomore RHP Mark Smith (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) would make his debut as a Seahawk, pitching 2.1 innings with two walks and suffering the loss.
- Junior pitcher Cody Thompson (Mechanicsville, Va./Atlee)would take the win for R-MC, throwing 2.2 innings with six strikeouts.
Up Next for the Seahawks
The Seahawks will be back in action on Saturday, February 18, hosting a home-opening doubleheader against Mount Saint Mary (N.Y.) College. First pitch is at 11:00 a.m. at the Hawk's Nest.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_Baseball, #GoHawks, #ProtectTheNest, #TalonsOut
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball